How do you clean your PCBs?

To be honest I actually completely agree with you. I can't stand the stuff. I'd much rather have a nice weissbier like Franziskaner or Erdinger.

I live in Southern California and I think a lot of that started out here. In my 20's it was huge and I was a big hop head. The hoppier and more bitter the better. I feel lucky that I was able to try a ton of them, because there are many that are not good (zero body and no flavor beyond acrid bitterness). I get why a lot of people don't like them and eventually they lost their luster with me a bit and my tastes swung towards Belgians and I spent my late 20's and most of my 30's trying every Belgian I could get my hands on. We went to Belgium for our honeymoon and visited as many breweries and pubs as we could, drinking only beers we've ever had before. Belgians have perfected the art of beer making, IMO. Some are better and some are worse, but they get it and I get them.

I still have an occasional IPA but if I'm drinking beer it's usually Belgian or German now.

I live in Southern California and I think a lot of that started out here. In my 20's it was huge and I was a big hop head. The hoppier and more bitter the better. I feel lucky that I was able to try a ton of them, because there are many that are not good (zero body and no flavor beyond acrid bitterness). I get why a lot of people don't like them and eventually they lost their luster with me a bit and my tastes swung towards Belgians and I spent my late 20's and most of my 30's trying every Belgian I could get my hands on. We went to Belgium for our honeymoon and visited as many breweries and pubs as we could, drinking only beers we've ever had before. Belgians have perfected the art of beer making, IMO. Some are better and some are worse, but they get it and I get them.

I still have an occasional IPA but if I'm drinking beer it's usually Belgian or German now.
You have to watch those Belgians a lot are high gravity, but I do like them

In about 2008 I was visiting Mrs Octpuss' family in southern california - they live in San Juan Capistrano. A new Italian restaurant had opened and we decided to head down and check it out. I asked what beers they had and the waiter mentioned a new beer they had that all their customers were going crazy for. He really hammed it up selling this beer and soon I was waiting for the greatest beer I'd ever tasted in my life. I was more than a little surprised when the waiter came back with the 'new' beer. It was Stella Artois - we call it 'wife beater' in N Ireland.

In about 2008 I was visiting Mrs Octpuss' family in southern california - they live in San Juan Capistrano. A new Italian restaurant had opened and we decided to head down and check it out. I asked what beers they had and the waiter mentioned a new beer they had that all their customers were going crazy for. He really hammed it up selling this beer and soon I was waiting for the greatest beer I'd ever tasted in my life. I was more than a little surprised when the waiter came back with the 'new' beer. It was Stella Artois - we call it 'wife beater' in N Ireland.

Stella has been kind of common for us for a while now, but I remember when it first got big, it was EVERYWHERE. Then Leffe came out and that was the fancy one.

When I started getting in to Belgian beers, ad especially after going to Belgium, I realized that we were getting their equivalent of Bud Light :ROFLMAO:

Stella has been kind of common for us for a while now, but I remember when it first got big, it was EVERYWHERE. Then Leffe came out and that was the fancy one.

When I started getting in to Belgian beers, ad especially after going to Belgium, I realized that we were getting their equivalent of Bud Light :ROFLMAO:

Yup I've got to agree with that. Though I do have a soft spot for Blue Moon.

Yup I've got to agree with that. Though I do have a soft spot for Blue Moon.
Blue Moon was big when I was in college and I never liked it. They always served it with orange and I was never a fan of fruit in my beer. It kills the head and makes it flat and I can't understand why anyone likes to drink beer like that 🤷‍♂️

Blue Moon was big when I was in college and I never liked it. They always served it with orange and I was never a fan of fruit in my beer. It kills the head and makes it flat and I can't understand why anyone likes to drink beer like that 🤷‍♂️

Definitely. I like a blue moon but hate it when a barman serves it with a slice of orange on the glass. It's like pineapple on a pizza - just plain wrong.

I for one love a good IPA, but I agree there are a lot of bad ones (more hops don't hide your bad brewing...), but I'm lucky as there are really good local microbreweries around here and they put out some good IPAs.
But I'm more of a "variety-is-the-spice-of-life" drinker. Went for a cross-province beer run last night, and out of 8, I got 3 IPA, 1 porter, 2 sours, a light lager and a pilsner.
And on weekdays, I try to drink non-alcoholic as we settled on a really good lager one (after trying a lot). You can see I don't always succeed as exemplified by yesterday's run...

Last edited:
Definitely. I like a blue moon but hate it when a barman serves it with a slice of orange on the glass. It's like pineapple on a pizza - just plain wrong.

I try not to judge but beer should not need garnish. I remember when Widmer Hefeweizen was popular and people would squeeze lemon into it. I always thought it was because the beer tasted terrible. Kind of like how if you put ketchup on steak, you probably don't like steak. Calling that garbage hef is a stretch, I avoided German hef for years assuming it was also shit. Wrong, just widmer. IPA is my no. 1 order but ever since they legalized cannabis I barely drink.

Also, I slowly got converted to pineapple pizza due to a family members persistence. They always ordered it, nobody else ate it so leftovers the next day were tropical af. It's kind of a guilty pleasure now.

I like beer.
I like IPAs. Those of you who don't are nuts.

So is the alcohol melting poly-cap thing a myth and is it safe?
Nope, I've never had a cap melt or any component damage with IPA. I did try a can of the MG Chemicals flux remover spray. It smeared the black lettering off my film caps. But never with IPA. I only used the MG stuff once, I think it's bit too harsh. Plus it stinks up the garage pretty bad.

I'm more like SYLV9ST9R, gregarious in drink choices. I like good beer, whether it's a stout, an IPA, weiss... whatever!
Sometimes I'm in the mood for a pilsner, and even occasionally a lager — variety rules!

However, "good" is subjective and tastes differ so if somebody says they don't like stouts or IPAs or whatever I respect that. Tastes also change, I've had trouble finding IPAs I like, lately. Went on a weiss kick for a while... Right now I'm leaning back on stouts.

@peccary, you must have tried Kwak on your honeymoon or at some point?

c641e04026b7a0724b8a4d44029748d8.jpg

I had a friend who talked it up and it wasn't as good as he said, and while I still liked it it's not a go to. I'd like your (and others') opinion on it.

I can't drink IPAs anymore, too heavy.
These days I only drink 1-2 pints a week if that and 99% of the time it's a Czech lager like a Budvar, Staropramen or my favorite Slovak brew, Zlaty Bažant.

I also can no longer digest Pilsner Urquell.

I'll go dry before I drink a basic Polish beer again. Never liked them but 17 years ago they were all we had.

I fell in love with Italian lagers again during my last visit. Going there on Tuesday for a week, can't wait to indulge myself (don't tell my cardiologist). I'll even be able to drink on the street!

Back