How do you keep your tip clean?

Same as many others. Clean with brass muff(don't forget to take it out and shake it every few dozen hours). Tin the tip just after turning off the iron. Seems to help keep the solder from falling off.
I have used retinner a couple of times.
In the rare event that I leave the iron idle for more than 10 minutes, I dip the hot tip in flux and clean. It liquidies old solder.and helps it clean off easier.
On my 2nd tip in 12 years in my 936. Been eyeing a new one though.
There are brutes at work that go through a tip a week. Never tin and leave the iron on from 8-5.
I like to care for my tools. New wrench? It gets wiped down with oil when it gets home before I promptly lose it.

Same as many others. Clean with brass muff(don't forget to take it out and shake it every few dozen hours). Tin the tip just after turning off the iron. Seems to help keep the solder from falling off.
I have used retinner a couple of times.
In the rare event that I leave the iron idle for more than 10 minutes, I dip the hot tip in flux and clean. It liquidies old solder.and helps it clean off easier.
On my 2nd tip in 12 years in my 936. Been eyeing a new one though.
There are brutes at work that go through a tip a week. Never tin and leave the iron on from 8-5.
I like to care for my tools. New wrench? It gets wiped down with oil when it gets home before I promptly lose it.
I feel like I’ve been doing exactly that but haven’t had much luck today. That’s why I wonder if the iron itself is too cheap (it’s a Stahl which I paid like $25 for it over 10 years ago).

OK I fired it up again and used a bit of tip tinner as others have recommended. I think it gets shiny for a bit but when I wipe it on the brass wire it looks oxidized again and it looks like there is a strip along it that I can’t get cleaned up. Here are some pics I took during the process:

IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2330.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg

I can imagine it must be driving you nuts! I was wondering the same thing. You’ve mentioned that your iron is perhaps past its prime. Maybe new iron day soon?

I can imagine it must be driving you nuts! I was wondering the same thing. You’ve mentioned that your iron is perhaps past its prime. Maybe new iron day soon?
Yeah I hope that’s it and I’m not cursed! I was considering opening up the iron to see if I can spot anything weird.

Does you iron have a temperature control? Are you using good solder or some wack Amazon garbage?
Yeah temperature control is set to max, as I’ve always done for the last several years. The solder is legit, I’ve also been using it for years. I think the only logical conclusion is that the iron is about to give out. Or the aforementioned curse of course.

Back