How do you keep your tip clean?

Seriously, I would lightly sand it with some 320 or 400 grit then re-tin it.
Ok I just sanded it and the little blob basically immediately pulverized. I haven’t had time to tin the tip again but it’s looking much better. Thanks man! Good tip for cleaning my tip! (Phrasing)

This thread could have easily been titled: "Looking for Tip Tips." :cool:

Glad you found a resolution. I never use abrasives on a tip because if it is cleaned/sanded/filed down to what I refer to as a tip's "quick", no amount of tinning will help past the next soldering session. As going into the "quick" will create a corrosion start and the cleaned/sanded/filed spot will harden and refuse to take solder properly down the road. Learned early on that filing or sanding a tip down to the "quick' ruins the tip.

I always make sure my tip is wet (cleaned & tinned with a bit a of fresh solder) when I set it down for more than a few minutes or am done with a session. I use a wet sponge only. I've found that using those metal scrub brushes tend to ware the tinning down to the "quick" faster than a sponge does.

This thread could have easily been titled: "Looking for Tip Tips." :cool:

Glad you found a resolution. I never use abrasives on a tip because if it is cleaned/sanded/filed down to what I refer to as a tip's "quick", no amount of tinning will help past the next soldering session. As going into the "quick" will create a corrosion start and the cleaned/sanded/filed spot will harden and refuse to take solder properly down the road. Learned early on that filing or sanding a tip down to the "quick' ruins the tip.

I always make sure my tip is wet (cleaned & tinned with a bit a of fresh solder) when I set it down for more than a few minutes or am done with a session. I use a wet sponge only. I've found that using those metal scrub brushes tend to ware the tinning down to the "quick" faster than a sponge does.
Good to know. I switched to the brass because the wet sponge can cause a temperature shock while in a soldering session.

I tried tinning and using the brass with no luck. No amount of heat or solder has worked.

View attachment 48505
Not sure if you can see it from the picture, there is a little blob at the very tip that I’m not sure how to remove.
I believe it's time for a new tip... I had one look like that and after a while it became obvious that the blob was actually the original surface and that my tip was eroding making the original surface look like a blob.

I don't use any tinner and I leave my iron on for hours at a time. I've been using the same tip for about three years when I bought a new station (Weller).

I just put a blob of solder on the tip before I put it in the holder. When I take it out I use the brass sponge to clean it off and put a small amount of solder on the tip and go back at it. Rinse and repeat.

Good to know. I switched to the brass because the wet sponge can cause a temperature shock while in a soldering session.
I keep my sponge damp - not "wet". I've never had any problems with a damp sponge and temp shock. Even with my cheap little $25 soldering station. And I don't mind changing tips as I need - one goes bad or when a different tip is simply needed. Mind you, soldering is an art form & technique as well as a science & skill; and we each have to find what works as we go. It's a process.

I don't use any tinner and I leave my iron on for hours at a time. I've been using the same tip for about three years when I bought a new station (Weller).

I just put a blob of solder on the tip before I put it in the holder. When I take it out I use the brass sponge to clean it off and put a small amount of solder on the tip and go back at it. Rinse and repeat.
What do you use to rinse the tip? :)

I always leave solder on the tip when I'm done soldering and I put a big blob of solder on it before switching the iron off.

My Pinecil cools down to 150C 20 seconds after being put down and turns itself off after 10 minutes so my tip is never oxidized.

I always clean the tip in the brass afro and then on a wet sponge before resuming/starting work.

The brass afro is better at removing solder residue (so mine is full of gunk), the sponge is better at making the tip shiny and ready to go.
exactly how I put mine away... hit it on the brass.... melt some fresh solder on the tip and then turn it off

P.S. never ever ever sand a tip! or youll be throwing it in the bin... youll remove the plating and it will never flow solder after that
Actually I did it to my first ever tip because I couldn't tin it and then it worked. I guess I was light handed enough but yes, never sand a tip.

I am not sure why but it keeps oxidizing really fast, no matter how much solder I tin it with. The very tip seems shiny enough and it works tho.
I prefer RA flux. No clean just doesn’t work as well for me.

my workflow fwiw:

Wipe tip on sponge/brass curls - I’m agnostic but also too lazy to keep distilled water in the basement. So I use brass curls a fair bit. Tin. 4-6 joints. Tin. Holder. Futz with glasses. Wipe tip. Tin.

My point is - use lots of solder to keep it tinned. Tin it after making joints, then back in holder, then clean the tip and re-tin before making more joints. I don’t wipe solder off before putting iron down, just add a bit more solder to the tip. Once I’m all done, then I clean tip, re-tin heavily and turn off iron.

YMMV

I think I’m gonna have to upgrade to a better station at some point. I tried a simple Weller we have at work the other day and it was much nicer.

Back