Hunting a new distortion

Not to derail too much, but I was curious about this so I looked at the shcematic, and it turns out it's tweaked xotic BB preamp, which is a tube screamer with a fixed tone control and then a two band EQ after. I can totally see how someone saying its a BB preamp would lead to it being confused with a bluesbreaker. There are a million versions of the BB Preamp from Xotic, there is a cool Aion article about a few versions. The mesa flux drive also took a lot of inspiration from this pedal.
That's correct. RAM was still warming up when I typed that this morning.

Since I'm ALWAYS up for new high gain pedal I've yet to find something to knock my Valhalla out of no.1 spot. With a tube screamer before it and a BB Sonic stomp after has been a killer sound for me.
I'm still waiting to get my openhaus up and running but I have a feeling it may too dark for what I'm after. Have you tried either of EMMA's pedals the ReezaFratZitz or PisdiYAUwot?

I'm using smaller and smaller amps these days for both volume reasons and back reasons (!). Thing is you can get a huge sound from a 1x12 combo. Obviously it will sound very different from cranking a closed-back quad box but you might be surprised at how big a 12W amp through a Celestion in an open-back solid pine cab can sound.

The key, as others have mentioned before me, is to get the sound level high enough to get the speaker working. On my Brown Deluxe clone that means louder than just on. (FWIW the Suhr Hombre is an excellent modern version of this amp) If I use the amp at a volume where it's loud enough to hear clearly but no louder it can sound a bit anaemic. But turn it up a little more and there is a point where the low strings start to have a bit more punch and definition. It's not crazy loud but may draw complaints if you live in an apartment. But it makes all the difference in the world to how the guitar sounds.

I'm not sure if the Katana will react in the same way. They can be a great amp but because they are all simulation they might not respond in the same way. I don't know. FWIW Andertons music did a Youtube video on trying different speakers in a Katana which you might find interesting.

AFAIK, Amps like the Katana are designed so that the cabinet does not have as much influence on the sound as they are trying to get all of the different tones from the electronics, so bear that in mind. However if you are trying to get the best sound you can in the room the speaker and cab play a huge role in creating the sound. The speaker and cab are probably the least experimented with elements by most guitarists - which kind of makes sense in a world where we are using more and more amp sims and DI recording - but for the sound in the room they are critical. And they can be a surprisingly cost effective way of improving your sound. Try a Celestion G12H Creamback in a decent solid pine open backed cab with your amp if you can. It's usually quite the improvement over an MDF cab with a generic speaker. And can cost less than some of the pedals we use.

Since I'm ALWAYS up for new high gain pedal I've yet to find something to knock my Valhalla out of no.1 spot. With a tube screamer before it and a BB Sonic stomp after has been a killer sound for me.
I'm still waiting to get my openhaus up and running but I have a feeling it may too dark for what I'm after. Have you tried either of EMMA's pedals the ReezaFratZitz or PisdiYAUwot?
I'll try to get some PCBs for those, thanks for the input

Back