Hydra Delay

MichaelW

Well this is my second time soldering an FV-1 chip. It was slightly less "sphincter clenching" than the first time but I was still a little nervous.

Did it all under my big lighted magnifier. Largely because these are pricey and not so easy to get. I grabbed 2 on my last order and this is the second of that order.
Not sure if there are any other FV1 builds in my immediate future because I am so very satisfied with these two I've built (Spatialist and Hydra).

I absolutely LOVE how this sounds. The main delay unit I've been using the last 5 years or so has been the Strymon El Capistan. Which is their tape delay emulator.
The Hydra nails that sound. With the "age" setting I can dial in the right amount of tape age on the repeats.

This is the first time I've had a multi-head delay though and still figuring out all the possibilities but one BIG surprise for me was that in using just Head #3 and #4 and setting the speed just right I can emulate Andy Timmon's dual delay sound. I was chasing that sound for a long time.

He originally used 2 Memory Man Deluxe units to get that sound, then moved to a Strymon Timeline, and now has a new signature delay pedal in development with Robert Keeley. I actually bought a Timeline just to get that dual delay sound. (then got overwhelmed with all the options and got bored with the sound hahahah, sold it).

Anyway, GREAT sounding delay pedal. Highly recommend it. Between this and the Dark Rift, I think I've got all my delay bases covered.

Oh and BLUE KNOBS to go with the BLUE LAMP for @Feral Feline :)

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

I'm tall, I can probably still reach the bar even if it's higher...
...so long as the bar is well-stocked with Single-Malt Scotch, I'll get there.

Michael, thanks for matching the collar and cuffs, but really the blue is for you — Or whatever colour(*s) you want. Black-light LED with Glow-in-the-dark green knobs, anything goes, it's your build! Go infrared with clear knobs...

Great build! I’m gonna need a few more FV-1.

I thought I was over building the Hydra and now I have a DMD-2 and Daydream in the queue. Might as well do a Hydra as well while I’m soldering FV-1s.

Use an A10K for the mix pot, but clip off pin 3. That leaves the buffered dry, analog signal at 100% at all mix settings.

Here’s my build. I put it on a switch to alternate between the mod and normal function. Next time I wouldn’t bother I would just clip pin 3 and leave it at that.

Here’s my build. I put it on a switch to alternate between the mod and normal function. Next time I wouldn’t bother I would just clip pin 3 and leave it at that.

@JamieJ Did you also use an A10k pot? I'm kinda digging the Hydra as is stock. Debating whether the mix mod is needed.

I can’t remember which pot I went with @MichaelW - it might have been a B10k. I felt the mod makes the mix pot more useful when it is at a higher level. You loose the original dry sound without the mod.

Back