Interested in a 7 string. Need a point in the right direction

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
I've been eyeing up the idea of a 7 string for quite a while now (probably the past 2 years). Can anyone provide some recommendations? I don't want the high end stuff since I may not like it. I've already got a Schecter 6 string, so that brand is out since they all look very similar. Are the Ibanez Gio series worth it? I mean, at sub-300 level I can only imagine the quality isn't the greatest. Looking to spend 5-700 tops.

Edit: Should I consider a baritone instead?

BuddytheReow

The few pointer I can give you is this:

•Scale size matters you don’t want a 25” 7 string the tensions and intonation will never be right for lower tunings even drop A you might not have enough saddle adjustment….

•if all you are going to do is chug or “Djent” in low tunings you don’t need it, get a baritone. What is the point of an extended range guitar if you aren’t going to use the full range?

• with that extra string comes more maintenance especially at lower price points And possibly issues that you might have to live with if it’s a wider neck and one truss rod..

These are the not so fun things to think about with extended range guitars, that said I love mine and play them more than my 6 string guitars.

Watching this because I’ve been interested in 7 string for a while too— though not as an extended range instrument; I adore Augmented/M3 tuning, but on a 6 string you wind up losing range relative to standard tuning, so it’s common to use a 7 string instead. Great for tight piano-like closed voicings and for playing time clusters. Also makes chromatic stuff a breeze.

I was really digging the Schecter Bashee Elite 7 with the sustainiac, but they discontinued it and all of their 7 string sustainiac options now are much more “metal” aesthetically

Not to derail, but I’ve been itching for a baritone for a while. Maybe I should start another thread about this…

Avoid the Gios for anything other than fun project guitars.
I never jived with 7 strings, personally. Too much neck and I can't solo worth anything. 15 years of running pizza shops and my fingers can move that fast.
I do love my baritones though.
I have a Chapman(bought without knowing the douchery) and a Jericho Edge. I love love love the Jericho. It was a club beater from Brooklyn so I got it cheap. After some cleanup, plays like a dream. Neck though mahogany body(maybe walnut), gotoh locking tuners, graphtech nut, hipshot bridge for $450. Sustain for days. Can't beat it(more than it already has been).
There are a couple of Jerichos on reverb right now. There's a beautiful white T style bari I'd love to pickup.
IIRC, they're all made at World Music then brought back for QC

Anyway, it depends on what your intentions and style are. If you're not doing a ton of upper register soloing and sweep picking, I'd go with the baritone.

i used to almost exclusively play a schecter 7 string. 26.5” scale, tuned to drop F or drop G. with the right gauge strings, those tunings were ferocious (back then was more into playing/writing riffs inspired by Ion Dissonance, War from a Harlots Mouth, Dillinger Escape Plan etc.)

tastes/desires changed a bit, nowadays I only play 6 string in drop C
(drop C because i love how well it works with 52-10s for 25.5” or even 24.75”)

i wouldn’t mind getting a 7 string again. and if i was to really go there again i’d probably get an ibanez RG2027XL (27”)

as far as dipping your toes in to have a go, you can’t go wrong with a budget ibanez. whatever model that fits your budget i guess. maybe avoid the GIO

standard 25.5” scale will be fine for standard tunings. i can’t see why drop A wouldn’t work, although i do agree with @Paradox916 points about longer scale lengths being a better option if drop tunings are your jam.

Last edited:
I'm assuming your price range is pre-tax. With that in mind, Sweetwater has Sterling JP70's on sale for $649. That's a lot of guitar for the money, and they look pretty good. Not your typical xXx**BR00T4L**xXx 7-string stylings.

Yea. I gotta ask myself what I want. Do I just want the chugs or those extra 5 low notes? Leaning toward chugs so I’ll check out baritones.

Yea. I gotta ask myself what I want. Do I just want the chugs or those extra 5 low notes? Leaning toward chugs so I’ll check out baritones.
Do you have a bolt-on guitar you don't particularly care about? If so, you could swap in a baritone conversion neck to give it a go

Back