Is this the correct orientation ?

There's only one revision of the USB power adapter.

Yep, it looks like you have it oriented correctly. If you haven't already soldered/clipped the leads you might want to leave enough excess just in case you need to lean the regulator over slightly to clear the enclosure lid.

I'm waiting on some 1590A enclosures to arrive so I can verify the final drill template on these.

There's only one revision of the USB power adapter.

Yep, it looks like you have it oriented correctly. If you haven't already soldered/clipped the leads you might want to leave enough excess just in case you need to lean the regulator over slightly to clear the enclosure lid.

I'm waiting on some 1590A enclosures to arrive so I can verify the final drill template on these.
Ok, I guess the image in the shop showed 3 caps and 2 resistors and you talked about adding some filtering, but maybe that was for the 4tap.
No, nothing soldered, here is how it looks with big caps. I also had one blank just to give me an idea.
20240229_093552.jpg

That's with the highest parts bottoming out.
20240229_093628.jpg

Ok, I guess the image in the shop showed 3 caps and 2 resistors and you talked about adding some filtering, but maybe that was for the 4tap.

Ahh yeah, I need to update that image. That was the first prototype using a different regulator (LDO) but it never actually got fabricated.

The 4-tap will eventually get a revision but it hasn't happened yet.

Ahh yeah, I need to update that image. That was the first prototype using a different regulator (LDO) but it never actually got fabricated.

The 4-tap will eventually get a revision but it hasn't happened yet.
On the 4-tap, I needed to bend the regulator because that one is taller then the one in the USB.
I've made drill templates for the 2, for use with 5mm standoff. Those are not verified but should be very close.

USB : https://drill.taydakits.com/box-designs/new?public_key=RlBrYTZXOXB4V3ZEMGQ5eXF0cWZadz09Cg==
4-tap (holes are a little off, not a complete disaster) : https://drill.taydakits.com/box-designs/new?public_key=VkNRemU5bHFyeDBSS1pYa3NXVldMZz09Cg==
20240326_204645.jpg

Last edited:
If you use a 5mm Male standoff paired with a 20mm Female standoff (on opposite sides of the PCB) you don't need any mounting holes or hardware on the outside of the enclosure.

If you use a 5mm Male standoff paired with a 20mm Female standoff (on opposite sides of the PCB) you don't need any mounting holes or hardware on the outside of the enclosure.
I'll need to get smaller capacitors for the 4 taps, at least for the 2 between the holes, the are so huge I cant put a standoff on both sides :ROFLMAO:

For the USB one, the standoffs are near the sides, will a 20mm clear the taper ? I guess yes since the inside corners are sharp and not rounded.

They don't quite clear the inner ridge of the lid on the USB project, so you'll have to use screws on that one.

Reactions: Nic
I don't think so. I've made one but it's not tested. I'll probably take the risk, but it may take some time. Maybe one official will be available by then.

Back