Isosceles Boost W/gate built in.

Djstatix

I’d like to build an Isosceles Boost with a gate that’s switchable from input side or output side. Anyone attempted this?

Yes, exactly if you mean the boost w/ gate you can toggle position. Not with a huge foot switch but with a mini toggle.

The order switch PCB will make it so that you can install a noise gate PCB and the boost PCB in the same enclosure and switch between which one is first and which one is second. You could use a foot switch or a toggle switch for the switch PCB.

I was just thinking that. I’m getting the feeling from my last build a 125b enclosure might be cramped with everything. Having a gate at the end or in front of boost would be nice in one box. Super quiet with a Zuul in the loop too.

The order switch PCB will make it so that you can install a noise gate PCB and the boost PCB in the same enclosure and switch between which one is first and which one is second. You could use a foot switch or a toggle switch for the switch PCB.
How would I tie the two pedals together if I only want the gate after boost pedal? I want to have a toggle switch for the gate/ bypass.

One way would be to use a 3pdt toggle instead of a stomp and wire the output of the boost to the input of the gate internal of the enclosure, but man that is going to be cramped in there. It might be worth your time to learn dip trace and make your own board and have a really clean layout( if you know for a fact that’s exactly what you are looking for. rather than a giant headache that might happen in there… ask me how I know🤣

Last edited:
I think I can squeeze it in, just want to make sure how to wire it up with another 3pdt toggle switch. Dip trace might be out of my ability right now.😬

I think I can squeeze it in, just want to make sure how to wire it up with another 3pdt toggle switch. Dip trace might be out of my ability right now.😬
It’s not that hard, just like anything else, it’s about the time you put in learning a new skill.

This is probably how you want to do it.

Gate is on the right, substitute right footswitch with 3PDT toggle switch. You could use a DPDT to save space if you don't need an LED indicator for the gate.

Using this diagram you can switch the gate or or off, but it will only be active when the boost side is active.

2-in-1 X.png

You probably would have to build the whole thing again using low profile parts and drilling the holes for the new set up. I don’t think you’ll be able to shoehorn it in there as it is, maybe if you inverted the muffler board so that they face component to it component. It would be much simpler if you would concede to a larger box. Also, if this thing is so noisy for you, perhaps a different circuit is in order. I play very high gain music, and I don’t use a noise gate at all.

You probably would have to build the whole thing again using low profile parts and drilling the holes for the new set up. I don’t think you’ll be able to shoehorn it in there as it is, maybe if you inverted the muffler board so that they face component to it component. It would be much simpler if you would concede to a larger box. Also, if this thing is so noisy for you, perhaps a different circuit is in order. I play very high gain music, and I don’t use a noise gate at all.
💯… but I do use a gate in some applications

I am inverting the muffler to make it fit, the toggle switch will be to the left of the stomp and the threshold right between stomp and other controls.

I play high gain but very articulate kinda stuff with poly rhythms. Run a Zuul in the loop and decimator in the back of my boost. No white noise at all.

The two gate set up is pretty normal for modern stuff. But I don’t think I recall reading about anyone using a third gate in their chain that’s kind of nuts. I would love to see your set up and hear what you are doing.

I only run two gates, one Zuul + in the loop, 4 cable method, then one before input into amp, after boost.

Attachments

• IMG_9579.jpeg
    IMG_9579.jpeg
    764.2 KB · Views: 19
Back