J201 Measurements

chongmagic

I have some J201s that I have and want to measure before I use them in a build. I took some screenshots of one that I measured.

From what I have read and looking at the datasheet, these should have a IDSS should be between 0.2 to 1mA and I am getting 1.33mA on this. I am guessing this is already a bad sign?

The VGs (off) seems and VGS (on) seem ok. What are the key measurements I should be looking at to see whether or not the JFET is worth using?

They look off. The runoffgroove article on the Fetzer valve is an interesting read. Right at the end they show some measurements of various jfets (incl the J201).

Here's the Link.

They look off. The runoffgroove article on the Fetzer valve is an interesting read. Right at the end they show some measurements of various jfets (incl the J201).

Here's the Link.

Yeah I think they are not worth using. I ordered some SMD J201s for the sake of having more consistency as well.

Maybe try measuring Idss using the ghetto technique: 9V power supply and a 1K resistor. See if that measurement validates the DCA75's measurement. In any event, I would not scrap a JFET for having Idss 0.33mA higher than spec. The Vp and yfs numbers are good. I expect these would work fine in most, if not all pedals.

This is what I Knocked up & use for Idss, It has not let me down.
You get a measurement with DMM & X by 10 = ma.
I didn't use it when building the M800 & it was average. When I pulled them out, I used this and they were all out of spec.
I replaced with Siliconix J201's with white Dot that Idss were 0.55 to 0.65 ma on this device.
Learned my Lesson with J201's!

Greatly Improved JFET Matcher II.png

You have to learn how to read schematics before you can use absilute simplest way :).
I've already posted a link in your M800 thread. DMM, battery.
http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html (11. Measurement of Vp and Idss)

You have to learn how to read schematics before you can use absilute simplest way :).
I've already posted a link in your M800 thread. DMM, battery.
http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html (11. Measurement of Vp and Idss)
Thanks for that link. My component tester was giving me readings of 100-300uA for my 8 SMD J201s so I didnt trust it. I built that circuit and tested for idss and they were 300-670uA, so all good.

Note that for idss testing only, all you need is a 9v battery, 100R resistor, and a multimeter. The other resistor is out of circuit for idss and only needed for Vp.

Back
Top Bottom