KiCad grid size

Have you *tried* running 8.x?
Just attempted to run 8.0.1 and sure enough, it won't run on my OS. It's all good though, I can do everything I need to do in 7.0.11. Some of the new features (BOM updates, 3D viewer improvements, etc.) would be really nice to have, but aren't necessary.

First off, I know that reverse engineering guitar effects pedals is far from a KiCad priority, and that my rants here will likely never be seen by any of the KiCad development team, but here we go.

When I'm tracing a pedal, especially a complex / unfamiliar circuit, the first draft of the schematic might be a total clusterf**k. If it's a Tubescreamer, sure, I can usually follow the signal path, but if it's something more complex like a BBD circuit, ring modulator, etc not so much.

Sections of the schematic might be drawn upside down, backwards, and in no way sequential in terms of the signal flow.

I know this component connects to that component, but initially I don't know if it's a feedback resistor, series RC filter, pull-up / pull-down resistor, all I know (or care about) at that point is the connections between them. Because of nets like VREF and VCC I might have power supply components drawn near the input buffer, the VREF voltage divider might be split up across the entire schematic, etc.

Once the circuit is fully traced I go back and rearrange/reorganize everything into a logical and legible schematic. During this process of rearranging I surely wouldn't notice if some unwanted rogue connections were made on my behalf without any notice, so I'm almost certainly going to end up with an incorrect schematic. Under no circumstances do I want my EDA software's Artificial Unintelligence "features" screwing with the connections I've drawn.

Tell me with a straight face you would notice this behavior while working with something like one of these VFE schematics....
(This is not my trace or drawing, so if Peter would like for me to remove it just say the word)
TV.png

Here's an even simpler (and more common) situation... splitting a long schematic to fit on the page. I just want to grab the right half of this schematic and drag it down below the left half. I know, I can drag it out, add nodes, reposition, drag it down, add some more nodes, reposition, and eventually get the desired result.... but it should not be this difficult to simply grab a handful of components and drag them lower on the page without ending up with a mangled schematic.

View attachment 2024-04-02 07-49-37.mp4

All we need is a little checkbox in Preferences called "Disable autoconnecting wires at junction points" ...

If KiCad would do this I would be 100% all in. Hell I'm willing to donate a reasonable amount to have this request bumped in priority... it'd be worth it to me in the long run.

What you want can be done to an extent with the move (M) command. Default is to drag (G) the components / wires (though this can be unticked in options to default to move).

With move, it will effectively disconnect the wire where your selection ends, you have to reconnect it manually but that's a lot better than having new junctions automagically appear.

Thank you! It would make my day if this could be eventually done.

I can live with the quirkiness in the PCB editor... the Design Rules Checker will find any discrepancies there, but it can't help with an incorrect schematic.

Thank you! It would make my day if this could be eventually done.
See if this works (or at least helps), Robert:

In the schematic editor, switch this setting (default behavior):
1712084071977.png

to:
1712084105444.png

Then select a group of components, grab them, then drag them around:
1712084175405.png
1712084232997.png
No new junctions formed here. This is NOT a perfect solution, but may at least help a little. Be mindful of the component connection points, if they fall on a wire, they will form a junction.

@Robert now that your are a fan of this tool you should install the interactive BOM plugin and share them with your build doc :) Aion Fx is doing it and it’s a really great addition.

@Robert now that your are a fan of this tool you should install the interactive BOM plugin and share them with your build doc :) Aion Fx is doing it and it’s a really great addition.

DipTrace has the iBOM plugin. I used it on a few projects a couple years ago but sort of forgot about it.

Also with the grid, you can now override different components with different values in the settings:

1712249852614.png

And even have different X and Y values if you want:

1712249993119.png

DipTrace has the iBOM plugin. I used it on a few projects a couple years ago but sort of forgot about it.
I forgot to add the link… https://github.com/openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom/wiki/Installation

Regarding the grid I had many including 2,54mm right after the installation. Never had to add a new one. Beware of a grid change between projects, wenn you copy parts of a schematic to a new one with different setting. You will get messages in the ERC for the parts not being on the grid. This can be resolved by selecting everything (or the copied elements) and then aligning everything to the grid via context menu.

Last edited:
Back