King of Drive pop

Chinga

Morning everyone!

Well I picked up a King of Drive from DemonFx and it pops. When out of circuit it looks like I'm building up around 11mv at the output, stomp and it drops. So I'm thinking of trying a pull down but can't tell where on the switches it should go. Since I don't have a schematic or layout I could use some help if anyone knows about this pedal. As it's a KOT clone I originally thought they copied exactly but it doesn't look like it. I would do the stupid thing and just try continuity to find ground and in/out but that's just guessing.

Anyone know this pedal and were the pull down would go on the switches? I can post a pic of the board if someone needs it.

Thanks for any help guys!

You can put a 1M across the the lugs on the input jack.
I've been looking everywhere for info on this thing. I could swear I read somewhere that putting it on the jacks doesn't work because it's taken out of circuit when you hit the switch. Thought the rough idea was that the voltage builds up while in TB and the pop happens when taken out of TB when the switch is kicked in. Somewhere now that I can't find anymore there was a quick pic of where the resistor goes on the switch, not sure that pinout is the same as the KOD though and I can' find it now anyway.

Last edited:
Post a pic of the board. I see some online that look like they already have pulldown resistors near both switches.
I added a couple arrows pointing towards what you may be talking about. Don't have the pedal open at the moment and can't see the values in the pic and can't tell from the pic if the board is showing a 1M pull down on them or not. Still getting a buildup of around 10mv still

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 10
I added a couple arrows pointing towards what you may be talking about. Don't have the pedal open at the moment and can't see the values in the pic and can't tell from the pic if the board is showing a 1M pull down on them or not. Still getting a buildup of around 10mv still
Ate those buffer switches to the left and to the right of the stomps?

Ate those buffer switches to the left and to the right of the stomps?
Those are the "high gain" switches. The dip switches are supposed to be the drive options of Clean,OD and Dist. The pedal info is here : https://www.demon-fx.com/uploadfile/202106/9ba6cc60a2aa1a8.pdf

Minor note here, the pedal didn't come as the info states, dip1 up the rest down. They were all down, I set it as the PDF says it comes from the factory.

Another note, I've tried the Mfg., then I tried the seller. No one responds. Guess they can't afford any customer support when they charge 60 bucks for the pedal :/

If you've got a multimeter you can check for continuity from that resistor to one of the legs of the 3PDT switch (I can't tell from the pic what wiring scheme they're using but nonzero chance pin 1 of the switch is the circuit input). Pretty sure the KoT (and I'm assuming this clone) have 1M to ground on both input and output though.

When I build KoT clones I usually sub the 1uF electrolytics with either 1uF tantalum or film, helps popping a lot (and I don't buy that in this circuit, to my ear, the type of DC blocking cap affects the end tone all that much). You could try lifting a leg of the electrolytic 1uF cap (it'll still function just fine without it since there's still a 1uF film cap in the circuit - you might not even notice a change in tone with it out of the circuit!) and seeing if it helps in your case.

If you've got a multimeter you can check for continuity from that resistor to one of the legs of the 3PDT switch (I can't tell from the pic what wiring scheme they're using but nonzero chance pin 1 of the switch is the circuit input). Pretty sure the KoT (and I'm assuming this clone) have 1M to ground on both input and output though.

When I build KoT clones I usually sub the 1uF electrolytics with either 1uF tantalum or film, helps popping a lot (and I don't buy that in this circuit, to my ear, the type of DC blocking cap affects the end tone all that much). You could try lifting a leg of the electrolytic 1uF cap (it'll still function just fine without it since there's still a 1uF film cap in the circuit - you might not even notice a change in tone with it out of the circuit!) and seeing if it helps in your case.
Thank u sir! I do still have a meter and certainly don't mind using it but my first goal is to find someone who knows this circuit or layout so I don't have to pull the pedal apart to get to the underside of the board to solder/desolder. Originally hoping someone knows and I can just throw the resistors on the switches without having to take anything apart. I know, this sounds lazy but at my age I just want to get on with using the pedal rather than learning these circuits. I gave that up about 35 years or so ago ;)

Thank u sir! I do still have a meter and certainly don't mind using it but my first goal is to find someone who knows this circuit or layout so I don't have to pull the pedal apart to get to the underside of the board to solder/desolder. Originally hoping someone knows and I can just throw the resistors on the switches without having to take anything apart. I know, this sounds lazy but at my age I just want to get on with using the pedal rather than learning these circuits. I gave that up about 35 years or so ago ;)
I mean, if you trace it out and find out it’s already got 1M to ground on both input and output (as I’m assuming it will), that’s your next step.

I mean, if you trace it out and find out it’s already got 1M to ground on both input and output (as I’m assuming it will), that’s your next step.
So it's likely there's already one there? Maybe a change in value is necessary as I'm seeing ~ 10mv at the output at it's worst when in bypass. 470k maybe on the output side?

Back