Kliche mini choking out bypassed signal

griff10672

Hey Folks ...
I've just built several kliche mini's and starting testing them .
each one I've tested so far ... 5 of them .... has the same symptoms .... they are killing my bypassed tone .
when I shut off the pedal it pretty much kills my tone .... almost sounds like a crappy OD that's on . and it doesn't sound all that great when turned on either .
for reference I have a Kliche OD ( 1590BB ) that I built a few years ago .... this pedal does not do this at all and sounds amazing . ( the parts are exactly the same other than I've used carbon comp on the mini and used metal resistors on the Kliche OD and the diodes )
I don't think it has anything to do with resistor material or the diodes ... I think it's the charge pump .
when looking at Electrosmashes breakdown of the Klon ... I noticed it was using a MAX1044 instead of a TC1044SCPA ...
I had a few Maxx's on hand and threw one in .... it almost totally fixed the issue ... when on the pedal sounds amazing ... but when off ... it's better ... but not like my Kliche OD .
Funny thing is ... I purchased a JRockett Archer used at GC that did the exact same thing ... when off ... my signal was just stunted and buzzy .... like a crappy OD pedal
I'm assuming this is a charge pump issue ? is there a way to tweak it ?? I've looked over the schematics for the mini and the Kliche OD ... they are the same as far as I can tell ... and my Kliche OD works 100% perfect

Yeah, I just used those two film caps because they're in the signal path, I could easily make them fit, and I had plenty on hand. Electros should work fine here (as they do in the original circuit).

C9 and C11 don't look like tantalums .... they look like blue box film caps
Or Electro's ???
It has gone very quiet here since this was bought up by jhaneyzz
Did you try Electro's or Tantalum in these 2 spots???

Back