Kliche Mini problem

Michi1590

Hey Guys,

i finished my second pedal from pedalpcb, the kliche mini.
Now i have some problem with the circuit. The pedal is working in its standard function. So switch on/off is working. Also tone & volume control is fine. But the circuit itself doesnt work. The Gain control nearly doesnt change the sound. No distortion at all. In my opinion the sound gets a bit thicker when i activate the pedal, but very minimal.

Can anybody help me pls.

Greetings, Michael

You should use google and find some basis instructions for measuring voltages with your DMM. It is very similar to using it to measure resistors, just a different setting on the device and you have power applied to the PCB/parts you are testing. You use the circuit diagram for the effect that is included in your build document to see what parts are connected to the power. To test volts, connect the ground on your black DMM probe to your PCB ground, set the DMM to the volts setting, and start testing different parts of your pcb with the other probe.

make sure you have +9v coming in from the power jack, and at the part of IC3 (the charge pump) that the circuit diagram shows as getting the + 9v. Then you use the circuit diagram to see what pins of IC3 should provide +18 v and -9 v. Then if those voltages are correct, you start checking the pins on IC1 and IC2 to see what power is present on them.

Thanks for the Tip! I checked the voltage on every pin and noticed that IC3 is correct but one of the TL072 is broken i guess because one Inverted Input is 0 V wich should be Vref (4,5 V on the others). When i switch slots the error moves with the IC. I will order a few new ones. Thank you all for your great help!

Thanks for the Tip! I checked the voltage on every pin and noticed that IC3 is correct but one of the TL072 is broken i guess because one Inverted Input is 0 V wich should be Vref (4,5 V on the others). When i switch slots the error moves with the IC. I will order a few new ones. Thank you all for your great help!
If you can, try & get Texas Instruments TL072 OP Amps, Well regarded Brand & Touch wood, I have never had one Fail.
With the Electrolytic Caps, They need to be on or as close to the PCB to avoid damage to solder joint and PCB when being knocked about.
This would have been a Better option for the Resistors between the TL072's.

Happy Soldering!
Cheers music6000

Hey, so i got the Texas Instrument IC's and changed all 3 IC's, just for safety. Now the voltages are fitting the circuit diagram with sligtly different values (16,5 V instead of 18,5 V). So the overdriven sound has slightly increased but its not getting even close to the original sound. Its more like a clean boost or something with minimal distortion in it.
Can anyone give me a hint where to search further?

Hey, so i got the Texas Instrument IC's and changed all 3 IC's, just for safety. Now the voltages are fitting the circuit diagram with sligtly different values (16,5 V instead of 18,5 V). So the overdriven sound has slightly increased but its not getting even close to the original sound. Its more like a clean boost or something with minimal distortion in it.
Can anyone give me a hint where to search further?
Using a Resistor Calculator, Check to see if your Resistors are Correct.

http://resistor.cherryjourney.pt/
Click on Bands to give you 5 colours

Pedal works now perfectly! Thanks again.

R9 & R11 had wrong values. I soldered in the values wich was printed on the pcb but on the building document they have different values.

Ahh I didn't catch this in your earlier post! You don't have the Kliche Mini PCB, you have the Kliche Clean PCB. It is a slightly different circuit that isn't as dirty as the standard Kliche. In the Clean version the Gain control acts as a "Color" control, so the behavior you noticed was normal.

C7, C16, D1, and D2 will be slightly different as well. Otherwise everything else is the same.

For the standard Kliche Mini you'll want:
C7 - 82nF
C16 - 4.7uF
D1 & D2 - GE (1N270 / 1N34A / D9E / etc)

img_20190403_151637003-jpg.297

Hi... I'm new here.
What's the difference between the 3 pcb's for Klon's clone? I mean Kliche Mini PCB, Kliche Clean PCB and Klone Overdrive.
I know about the values... my question is specifically about the circuit (PCB).
Thanks
Jones/Brazil

The schematic for each of those is in the build documents and you can check them yourself to see what parts may be different values. The Clean and Mini will fit into a smaller enclosure than the Overdrive because the Overdrive board is made to also hold a 9 volt battery.

Hi... I'm new here.
What's the difference between the 3 pcb's for Klon's clone?
Welcome!

Like zgrav mentioned, the difference between the Kliche and Kliche Mini is just the PCB size.

The Kliche is designed for a 1590BB and has a cutout to hold a 9V battery. It uses 1/4W resistors.

The Kliche Mini is designed for a 125B with top mounted jacks, there would be no room to fit a battery in that build. It uses 1/8W resistors.
The circuit is identical to the Kliche.

The Kliche Clean is a variation of the Kliche Mini PCB (also fits a 125B and uses 1/8W resistors). The circuit is very similar, but is more of a clean boost that adds color than an overdrive.

If you're looking to build a straight up Klone you most likely want the Kliche or Kliche Mini.

I'm having almost the same issue with my Gain knob not doing too much. Going to confirm the Resistor values near the gain pot and check the IC's. Also something weird, I have the exact Linear Dual Taper Pot listed above but my Gain knob is reverse. The gain doesn't increase when going clockwise, but does when going counter clockwise. Any ideas?

When you say that Gain increases as you turn the knob CCW, does it actually sound distorted, or just louder but still clean?

The Gain dual pot does three things. One side controls the volume of the clean path (CCW more clean, CW less clean). The other side affects the dirty path by bleeding it to Vref (CCW) and boosting the gain of the op amp (CW). I can't imagine how the side of the pot that controls the dirty side could work backwards. If your "more gain CCW" is actually just louder clean, than it would seem there's a problem with the dirty path (either on a defective pot or a mistake on that path).

Just conjecturing / trying to narrow it down for now.

I'd say more gain CCW is just louder clean to be honest, so it seems like an issue in the dirty path. I've got some extra IC's for this pedal so I'll try socketing in some new ones and see if it makes any difference. I also have another dual pot that I can swap in. I'll do some more troubleshooting sometime this week. Otherwise what other things could I try in the gain path?

Back