Kliche Overdrive No Sound

Ajonymous

B12E1F9E-76CF-4D7D-AE9C-7BBF02FC6B34.jpeg 01A95D00-507F-4ED4-AC6F-AEE718560D03.jpeg Hi all. Purchased the Kliche Overdrive kit from stomp box parts over a month ago and assembled it, but there’s an issue. No sound has been coming out, whether the pedal is “on” or “off”. So far I’ve reflowed a few joints and tried to clean it up a bit. My soldering is far from pretty, and I’m still learning how to get good solder joints, so I suspect my issue may have to do with the solder. I can post some better photos if necessary and the voltages for the ICs. Don’t have those right off hand.

So......

The audio probe helped a lot. Found that audio wasn't even getting to the first resistor in the circuit. So here I found stupid issue one: the diagram on the website has the tip and ring backwards, at least for me. I don't have a TRS cable, so that probably changes the wiring for me. I think.

I followed the audio probe to the very end of the circuit but still wasn't getting any sound out. So here's stupid issue two: I didn't add enough solder on the output wire. Despite it looking ok, it still wasn't a good enough connection.

Thanks all for putting up with my stupidity.... Guess it takes failure and stupid issues to learn more.

No need for a TRS cable. You’re good with a regular ol’ mono guitar or patch cable.

No failures, only more data. Welcome aboard.

So......

The audio probe helped a lot. Found that audio wasn't even getting to the first resistor in the circuit. So here I found stupid issue one: the diagram on the website has the tip and ring backwards, at least for me. I don't have a TRS cable, so that probably changes the wiring for me. I think.
The wiring in the documentation is correct. You shouldn't be using a TRS cable, you need a regular mono guitar cable. Tip goes to the input of the board, ring goes to the black wire of the battery snap, and the shield connection goes to the board ground pad. That way inserting a cable into the input jack will turn on the battery (if installed) and pulling it out will turn off the battery. Very standard wiring for pedals with batteries. The power jack is then switched so that the battery is switched out completely when the power supply plug is inserted into the power jack.

I always inspect my jack visually to be sure to connect my wires to the correct lug, on most of them you can trace which lug goes to the tip, ring and sleeve.

Back