SOLVED Kliche: Strange Issue…

Coda

So I just completed a Kliche build, and is doesnt worn (not surprising). This one is different, though. Firstly, I get bypass…but only if the gain control on the pedal is way up. The volume control controls the volume with the pedal off. When I turn the pedal on, I get almost nothing, unless I crank all controls, and keep the gain at zero. With that, I get a quiet tone. What the hell is going on with this one?

Attachments

• 6506C40E-D0A0-4838-9173-AAF9E7535F3B.jpeg
    6506C40E-D0A0-4838-9173-AAF9E7535F3B.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
you input and output jacks might be shorting against the case or adjacent pot, for starters. or maybe one of your leads is wired to the ground tab.
I’m going over it now. I edited my initial post, as well. It’s the gain control, not the volume.

Do I have the input wires correctly? I have the sleeve to ground, the tip to input, and the ring to the battery (negative).

Last edited:
I'm thinking no. Double check the "layer" where each lug is connected. I believe you have the battery wire to output, not ground.

Edit :I can't really tell...the way you described is correct though.

I'm thinking no. Double check the "layer" where each lug is connected. I believe you have the battery wire to output, not ground.

Edit :I can't really tell...the way you described is correct though.
Input on the left, ground center, battery negative to the right.

Attachments

• 78C138D2-68DE-4DBA-819A-D92DDF5EB5C7.jpeg
    78C138D2-68DE-4DBA-819A-D92DDF5EB5C7.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 35
Found a spot where it looked like the gain pot was touching the LED bezel. I wrapped the bezel in tape, and the issue remains. With pedal on, I only get tone when the gain is at zero. Once I turn it up a hair the signal dies. Also, I’m bypass, I only get signal when the gain control is maxed.

Update: found a bridge between two caps. Separated the leads. Plugged it in, and it works…as long as the jacks are outside of the enclosure. It works great like it is in the picture, but as soon as I run the jacks normal it cuts out.

Attachments

• 0F099C71-B238-4346-A9D0-A273591990E9.jpeg
    0F099C71-B238-4346-A9D0-A273591990E9.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 31
It’s definitely grounding out when the jacks are mounted in the enclosure, I just can’t figure out why. I think I’ll try using the 9v jack instead of the battery.

9v jack and battery clip are fine. It looks like the issue is something with the jacks. The pedal plays fine as long as the metal of the jacks isn’t touching the enclosure. What could cause this?

assuming your wires are hooked up correctly, your audio wire is somehow grounding to your case when the jacks are installed in it. use your multimeter to see if the tip is shorting to ground when the jacks are in place and cables are plugged in.

if there is no short to ground between the tip and the ground, does this happen when the outer part of the jack just touches the enclosure? See if it happens if you mount the jacks from the outside with the nuts on the inside -- do you still lose the signal?

assuming your wires are hooked up correctly, your audio wire is somehow grounding to your case when the jacks are installed in it. use your multimeter to see if the tip is shorting to ground when the jacks are in place and cables are plugged in.

if there is no short to ground between the tip and the ground, does this happen when the outer part of the jack just touches the enclosure? See if it happens if you mount the jacks from the outside with the nuts on the inside -- do you still lose the signal?
The signal drops as soon as any metal part of either jack touches the enclosure, regardless of where the contact happens.

I do have a short to ground at both jacks, however…

take a look at the wiring diagram in the build documents. make sure your audio jack tips are connected where the blue wires are shown. test for continuity between the jack tips and the in/out connections on the PCB when you do not have any cables plugged in the jacks.

Mine are white.

Attachments

• 1AA10E3A-146A-4D15-BA24-CA71F76B6FA8.jpeg
    1AA10E3A-146A-4D15-BA24-CA71F76B6FA8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 821118F1-AEAD-4A18-950A-C083011558DD.jpeg
    821118F1-AEAD-4A18-950A-C083011558DD.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 26
I think that one or both of those white wires will also show that it is connected to ground. check them when you do not have anything plugged into the jacks and see if that is the case. If one of the white wires is connected to ground, check the other side of your PCB to see if you have a short between the ground and tip wires where they are soldered into the board.

if the white wires do not show any connection to ground when no jack is plugged into them, then you need to figure out why that changes when a cable is plugged in. plug in a cable in to one jack and test it to see if the tip then shorts to ground. if it does not, then remove that cable and plug it into the other jack. test the other jack.

if you are getting something shorting to ground when the cable is plugged in but your jacks look OK -- check your cable that you are using to test the pedal to make sure there is no short in the cable between the tip and ground.

Back