DEMO Lectric FX Karaoke Chorus - The 80s are back!

This post contains an audio or video demo

andare

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
While my Caesar languishes in the limbo of boards without an enclosure, here's a clone of the Boss CE-1 chorus/vibrato, minus the preamp. The 3 position toggle switch has Chorus, Chorus + Vibrato and Vibrato modes. Vibrato mode is quieter so keep that in mind when you set the Gain trimmer.

BUILD

The build is straightforward. I really appreciate the part list with quantities in ascending order of value. It makes populating the board a breeze.
I don't like the lack of values on the PCB. I love the fat pads that gleefully suck solder.

You can see several vias on the board. I was very careful not to get any solder in them, as I'm wont to do.

20230716_170424-01.jpeg

Sorry no pic of the face :(

NOTES

This pedal requires some specialized parts: 1/8W resistors, MN3007 and a Type 1 On/On/ON DPDT toggle switch.

The fit is tight, especially in a 1590BB. I'd go BB2 just to be safe but the drill template is correct. The wiring is unusual because of the unorthodox placement of the pads. Can't say I love it.

The only issue I had was the LM358 circled in yellow, it ticks in bypass, in Chorus mode only. After getting help in the Troubleshooting forum, I ended up making a shield with a pot condom and copper tape, grounded to the output jack sleeve. No pics of the actual shield but I drew a yellow circle to show you where it is.
I recommend using shielded wire for both input and output but be ready to build a secure shield as well just in case. Tucking the wires as far as possible from the LFO didn't help at all.

I've since gotten rid of the jumper that grounds the board input on bypass. It wasn't included in the build docs but I added it anyway. Removing it didn't fix the ticking but it also didn't introduce pops. Silent operation.

I love the thick chorus! Can't stop playing it. Very fat and lush, though noisy.
Chorus + Vibrato can be made to sound similar to a Hammond with a Leslie.
Vibrato is an acquired taste but it's nice to have and very quiet. I've been using it for making small, delicate sounds, for example neck + middle pickups out of phase.

DEMO

Quick demo in Chorus mode. Depth cranked, Rate 10 o'clock.
Strat on neck + middle, Chrome flats (they have no bass presence whatsoever) and bad timing :(

Wait, I got another one with rounds

Dumb question maybe.... Vias are the little empty holes right? And are they places where the different layers or planes or whatever they're called are joined? Do I have that right?

And if so, why are they holes instead of just solid? And do they get messed up if they get solder in them?

Aaaannd - what's that red single P90 rig?? I like it!

Dumb question maybe.... Vias are the little empty holes right? And are they places where the different layers or planes or whatever they're called are joined? Do I have that right?

And if so, why are they holes instead of just solid? And do they get messed up if they get solder in them?
I think that's why they are. And they are holes so they can get messed up and you order another board :)

Aaaannd - what's that red single P90 rig?? I like it!
Epiphone Coronet reissue with a horrible replacement pickguard. It's a little beast!

Back