DEMO Lectric-fx Panacea-Boss PN-2

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Well, I guess it's time to start doing build reports again. This was a fun project and something different. The panacea is a clone of the boss pn-2 tremolo and stereo panner. Props to Keefe at lectric-fx for such a cool project and excellent execution.

The PN-2 was the first dedicated boss tremolo pedal and was released in 1990. It uses the discontinued VCA chip used in the first version of the TR-2. The pedal offers both trem and panning of both triangle and square wave form. The original pedal had stereo in and out but the panacea was simplified to mono in and stereo out, and it is possible to still make it stereo in as well. The tremolo is a standard tremolo that while good is not as refined and versatile as the TR-2, and will be a dual mono sound when using a stereo rig. The panner is where the pedal shines. It's essentially the same thing as tremolo but instead of dual mono it splits the signal between the two outputs panning between them. Going between two amps can be trippy but to fully appreciate the effect you need to experience it panned hard left and right in headphones.

The build itself was very simple and straightforward. The stacked board design.is very well thought out and is very stable thanks to the standoffs used. During testing the 4pdt switch board was not yet available so I improvised and used what I had on hand. For the enclosure I went with brother voodoo since he was perfect to represent the trippy and swampy nature of the effect. For the sound clip there is no video this time, I simply looped something simple and ran it direct to the interface and panned each output hard left and right in my DAW and used a plugin for the amp modeling. I only used the panner modes since everyone knows what trem sounds like. The drive parts use my OD-3 build. Make sure you use headphones when you listen to get the full effect.
9SJOmc6.jpg
c8FaHIS.jpg
xIKGw8c.jpg
AbCeB1w.jpeg

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, why the 4dpt switch? To make the second out TBP?

And no Rate LED??? How will you keep time???

I have an original PN-2. One of my few remaining Boss pedals. I'm gonna have to give this project a go and see how it compares.

Was someone here selling TR-2 boards?

View attachment 62894

Got to listen to that with headphones! It messes with my brain and I love it!
Thanks Rob, one more stereo build left for the year.
Got my phones on
Got the SoundCloud cued up
Press play

Do I belong here?
With all this greatness?
What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Beautiful inside, out and through the speakers. Good to see your work again!
Thanks Christian, I was feeling anti-social and I still am, but I wanted to make sure people know this stuff is out there.
If you don't mind me asking, why the 4dpt switch? To make the second out TBP?

And no Rate LED??? How will you keep time???

I have an original PN-2. One of my few remaining Boss pedals. I'm gonna have to give this project a go and see how it compares.

Was someone here selling TR-2 boards?
The 4pdt is for the stereo operation. A 3pdt would only be stereo while the unit is working and mono only in bypass. Ask me how I know lol.

The board has a rate Led, but I don't like rate LEDs and always omit them. I can see how fast it's going based on the knob, and it's not like the led makes it easier to synch up timing. I hate the constant blinking.

No one was selling TR-2 boards, I had some made up before but all are gone.😭

Back