Low Baller

djmiyta

Thought I had it figured out but. Nope
My low baller works in clean mode but not in fizz or distortion mode
I checked the toggle switch and it has continuity both ways

I guess its time to pull out the audio probe.

An update.
I audio probed the circuit in envelope mode and since I don't know I gotta ask.
I did not get any signal on either side of d2/3
No signal on either side of R11
No signal either side of C5.
I've got continuity on both sides of the switch
ok so I flip the switch to dist/fuzz I have signal on one lug on the switch (the lug I'd expect signal on) but no signal on the switch middle lug and still no signal on any of D2/3 , R11 or C5

No signal on D2/3 R11 and C5 when not in dist mode I kinda understand but obviously I've got no signal going into the distortin pathway? I'm thinking that's to be expected being of the distortion side. Am I correct?

So now I'm stuck.
When it was boxed there were a couple times I'd switch to the distortion just to see and there'd be a faint high pitched whistle that when switched back to just envelope it would be there too but really faint with a little extra white noise added in the effect still worked (but I don't think to it's full potential) Switching it a couple of times would remove it from the envelope side. Maybe the switch is bad? even if it shows correct continuity?

In distortion mode I get signal on lugs 2 & 3 of the sens pot which serves as the volume pot for the fuzz. As I turn the sens pot CW the signal increases on lug 2 of the sens pot. As it should (I assume}. lug 3 sounds so much brighter than 2 (better to my ears).
nnno clue now what to do with this info or where to go from here

ANY help, getting this to work at a 100%, will automatically get you much deserved appreciation. Some of you may not necessarily need that but I appreciate appreciation .........so......... THANKS PEDALPCB FORUM PEOPLE for all the good times and help. Hope we can do this one. more. time.

Would it be possible to see some hi res photos of both sides of the board? Having the visuals will help us see if there are any parts or damages that need to be addressed

But it still sounds like your issue lies somewhere between pin 7 of IC1 and the toggle switch

No signal on D2/3 R11 and C5 when not in dist mode I kinda understand but obviously I've got no signal going into the distortin pathway? I'm thinking that's to be expected being of the distortion side. Am I correct?

You'd still have signal at those junctions regardless of switch position in a working circuit, as the Distortion is generated from the peak detector which is always connected to the input. The switch just chooses whether the guitar gets sent directly to the filters or makes a detour though the peak detector for clipping. Essentially, it chooses the output not the input

In distortion mode I get signal on lugs 2 & 3 of the sens pot which serves as the volume pot for the fuzz. As I turn the sens pot CW the signal increases on lug 2 of the sens pot. As it should (I assume}. lug 3 sounds so much brighter than 2 (better to my ears).
nnno clue now what to do with this info or where to go from here

The Sens pot is wired as a voltage divider, the same as any typical volume pot would be. Here it acts to control the amount of guitar driving the peak detector and the amount of distortion when switched to that mode. So, lug 3 should be the loudest and brightest as it's basically taking the signal directly from the input buffer. While lug 2 is the wiper and it's loudness will be dependent on the position of the Sens pot.

nnno clue now what to do with this info or where to go from here.

I should add that in distortion mode although there is signal at the sens pot I still get no signal at the output jack.

You'd still have signal at those junctions regardless of switch position in a working circuit, as the Distortion is generated from the peak detector which is always connected to the input. The switch just chooses whether the guitar gets sent directly to the filters or makes a detour though the peak detector for clipping. Essentially, it chooses the output not the input.

So since I should always have signal at those points it's time to do more audio probing? Probing areas before the distortion section (cause it doesnt look like there is a lot there to probe. Some reason I keep going back to the switch maybe I got it to hot when I soldered it I would have already swapped it out if I had another but I've only a DPDT on/on. Maybe I'll try that but I don't think the switch has anything to do with the faint whistling I hear.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Thanks for the help

Got some pictures here.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    531.1 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, the switch isn't looking too great.

Do you get an audio signal at pin 7 of IC1?

Edit: Just to verify/ clarify- are you getting signal with a filter sweep when in the non-distorted mode?

Last edited:
ok so the switch wasnt the problem although the faint whistle is gone. Its dead quiet which it wasn't before. checking envelope side against demos and seems that properly working ones have much more obvious "envelopeing" happening than mine. My first thought is Ive got a wrong value in there somewhere

No signal at pin 7 of IC1
No signal at pin 5 of IC1.

Signal at pins 1,2,3 & 6 of IC1

Yes I get signal with a mild or somewhat weak filter sweep in non distorted mode and dead silent in Distortion mode

ok so the switch wasnt the problem although the faint whistle is gone. Its dead quiet which it wasn't before. checking envelope side against demos and seems that properly working ones have much more obvious "envelopeing" happening than mine. My first thought is Ive got a wrong value in there somewhere

Are you able to get close to the demos you're watching with the the attack knob at zero and the decay pot around halfway? That will approximate the stock Bassballs settings. The bass and treble pots should be set slightly off from eachother

No signal at pin 7 of IC1
No signal at pin 5 of IC1.

Signal at pins 1,2,3 & 6 of IC1

Yes I get signal with a mild or somewhat weak filter sweep in non distorted mode and dead silent in Distortion mode

So, it sounds like you need to take a look at R5, as that's setting the gain of the peak detector/ clipper of IC1.

We can ignore pin 5 of IC1 in regard to audio signal, as that just goes to ground as part of the ICs bias network.

Back