Low volume on Mofeta build.

shake__appral

Hey y’all. First time posting here, hope I’m doing this right. Just built the Mofeta (Sunn Model T preamp) pedal yesterday, and having serious issues with volume output. It’s significantly quieter when the pedal is engaged, when not engaged the volume from my amp sounds about doubled. I’ve heard this was a fairly common issue with “other” Sunn T pcb builds, but am not seeing anything posted about it on this forum with this particular pcb. Any ideas for troubleshooting? There aren’t any instructions for biasing the trim pots, so I suppose this could be an issue. I just did this by ear, but I fiddled around with them quite a bit and the loudest, fuzziest setting still doesn’t produce volume anywhere near equivalent to my amps clean tone when the pedal is not engaged.

Posted a photo, I also am looking to run two leds (a standard 5mm above the Footswitch and then a 3mm to fill a hole where a switch was supposed to go) any ideas for wiring/getting power to the 3mm off to the side with this particular 3dpt pcb? Also curious if anyone has experimented with other JFet transistors. I’m a huge Sunn/doom in general fan and am not all that impressed with the tone of this pedal, wondering if there’s any way to make this maybe a little more fuzzy and gnarly and a little less “farty” and underwhelming. I’ve yet to stack this with other pedals, I’m sure it sounds rad with a Rat or something but at this point I’m sure glad I didn’t pay $250 for one of these suckers.

Attachments

• 100F629E-47EE-4187-9645-B4307E43B8FA.jpeg
    100F629E-47EE-4187-9645-B4307E43B8FA.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 30
Can you show a picture of the Print/Writing on the 2N5457's in the Pedal?
I’ll order a new batch when I order parts this week. I’m thinking it’s not the transistors though. Now I’m wondering if there are different transistors I can swap out entirely to maybe see if I can get this thing sounding halfway decent. Otherwise I boxed it up with it biased the best I could based on Robert’s suggestion. Maybe I’ll just have to boost it with a RAT in front of or something.

Back
Top Bottom