Maleficent Mids (JHS Haunting Mids)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I was totally not planning to build this today but after seeing @geoffrey 's post I got stoked about it and decided to at least get it started.

I drilled and painted the enclosure thinking I'd have plenty of time for the paint to dry enough to handle. But I breezed through the build in like 45 minutes.....then got impatient...sigh....so there's some fingerprints on the enclosure.

I'd heard so many great things about the retail version of this pedal and as I recall it was a limited run so not a lot of them floating around.

I agree with everything @geoffrey said in his build report, AWESEOME tone shaping tool. In many ways it's similar to the Mercurial Boost in that it has the ability to boost certain frequencies with the sweep knob but perhaps a bit more focused on the mid-range.

Not only can it boost but it can also scoop the mids as well, which is a really neat feature. The "Mids" control is flat at noon. Left scoops, right boosts, sweep hones in on the center freq between 400hz to 7.5khz. There's a toggle that either tightens or broadens the frequency being boosted or cut.
Not exactly sure why it's called "Hi/Lo" but another very useful control.

I ran it in front of the drives sitting on my desk at the moment and it was very cool what it could do to each drive, in every case I was able to make it sound a bit better.

I think it's short selling this pedal to call it a "Mid Boost". I'm thinking of it as an all around boost or cut specific to guitar frequencies. I can see it staying on my "boost board" and maybe even knocking the Mercurial off. Very quiet pedal also.

I decided to add a buffered output on this pedal and used a "Simple JFet Buffer" on the output after the footswitch so it's "always on" regardless of the pedal is engaged or not.

Fingerprints notwithstanding, this is an awesome utility pedal and I highly recommend it. Thanks for giving me the nudge to build it @geoffrey !

I used a copper-ish hammer tone rattle can paint. This usually dries pretty well overnight. But......alas, my eagerness to get this built got the better of me.

IMG_4203.JPG

The Simple JFet Buffer is a sweet little tiny board that can be tucked anywhere, even in a 1590B. I used an MMBFJ201.
I also rigged up a little pot condom for the B100k Dual as these are notorious for shorting out when in a lower position. I just sliced the back off a regular pot cover and hot glued it on. But it was still enough to can't the board on an angle so that I barely could solder the "Mids" control.

IMG_4202.JPG

looks great, which rattle can is that love the color. I keep adding to my hammered finish collection everytime i go to my local hardware store. Picked up copper yesterday for my cobbler build which hopefully will get finished up tonight.

Wow, @MichaelW , looks fantastic (I don't notice any smudge marks anywhere, speaking for myself)! And man...If only my guts looked as tidy as yours. I realize that I'm still developing, but I could better. My problem, as with you waiting on your paint to dry, is that I just want to get the darn thing done and working properly as fast as possible so I can play with it. As I get better and more efficient, I'll try and up my game in that regard.

And I'm both glad and humbled I could provide some inspiration! Now it's your turn 😂

If I understand correctly, it's an EQ calibrated on mids. I wonder how does it compare to a Boss GE-7 ? Can it do something that GE-7 can't ?

If I understand correctly, it's an EQ calibrated on mids. I wonder how does it compare to a Boss GE-7 ? Can it do something that GE-7 can't ?
Probably not, the GE7 will be able to get the same sounds but not as quickly. Because the Haunting Mids is designed to focus on specifically the mid range frequencies it's less fiddly than sliders. But sliders is more flexible.

Do you find the switch to have a very noticeable effect on the tone? I just finished my build and I can’t really hear the difference that much. Is there a particular setting where it’s more apparent? Just so I can make sure my build is ok.

Do you find the switch to have a very noticeable effect on the tone? I just finished my build and I can’t really hear the difference that much. Is there a particular setting where it’s more apparent? Just so I can make sure my build is ok.
It's been a while since I've had mine out, but as I recall the switch affects the sweep of the frequency control.

It's been a while since I've had mine out, but as I recall the switch affects the sweep of the frequency control.
Uhm there must be something wrong with mine because I can’t hear any difference. I guess I’ll start a troubleshooting thread.

Back