MBP Fraudhacker

Locrian99

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
i decided to finally build a flanger, was torn between the PPCB version of the bf-2 and the fraudhacker. Went fraudhacker because well I didn’t have to make a parts order to put it together lol. Also I believe I’ve read it’s a little more true to the original, not sure how true this is. My only experience with a flanger was a friend in high school had a bf-2 and I remember not loving it. But I also imagine me at 16 probably had nearly every knob at 10.

Build itself went pretty well minus one issue I had a bad diode between the regulator and ground. Was actually fairly easy to find since my ground on my regulator wasn’t 0v and the tl022 voltage was way off from the 5v it should’ve been. One thing though in removing the diode I lifted the pad, and also did on another component i used a solder sucker to remove. After the first one I thought it must’ve been me but after the 2nd I’m not so sure. I don’t think I’ve ever lifted a pad before, it still worked fine and didn’t even lift the entire pad (they were both square pads).

Biasing was easy, I recently upgraded my DMM so did the frequency thing for one of them. I didn’t bother with the audio probe for the other biasing part, if I can’t hear it with my naked ear does it really matter? And the res bias portion was super easy too, didn’t even need signal just turn it up til it starts to self oscillate and turn back down until it stops.

Over all I enjoyed this build and would recommend jt. Not sure it’s an effect I’ll use a ton, but since I built it compared it to a bf-2 a friend has and it’s pretty spot on. I kind of wish I would’ve built the PPCB version just for the new experience of doing the stacked boards in case I do decide to build the blue shift from aion in the future, seems like s good warm up build.

Had a little curl under on the decal, I feel like these sunny scopa are harder to work with than the previous brand I used. Also might be me before more confident and less cautious. went with a fortune teller theme to go along with the fraud theme. B608620B-283D-49D0-BAC1-345610653FF0.jpeg B9B49E60-36F5-47FD-B8BD-3F6D3D202B2D.jpeg

Looks great! I have a recently built Fraudhacker on the diagnosis queue because the rate isn't working. Biggest ego killer for a long time!

Looks really nice. I wonder if the texture on the finish is making it harder for the decal to lay flat. Not sure if any of the decal “softeners” work with the at home decal films though.

I also enjoy seeing a non 125b style box. I totally get the space saving aspect, but the wider rectangle really looks good with that design.

Looks really nice. I wonder if the texture on the finish is making it harder for the decal to lay flat. Not sure if any of the decal “softeners” work with the at home decal films though.

I also enjoy seeing a non 125b style box. I totally get the space saving aspect, but the wider rectangle really looks good with that design.
The issue actually occurred during the slide off, I have wondered about those decal softeners though. I also got some shrinkage on the edges after applying the clear coat to the enclosure. I’ve had more issues since buying this sunny scopa brand than the previous brand I used which I don’t recall the brand off hand. I think it might be that these don’t need to soak quite as long and I haven’t really adjusted my method to these.

The Byzantium is straight out of the BF-2 service manual. I believe the order of a series resistor and capacitor was reversed for better trace routing, but electrically (and sonically) the circuit is identical.
Good to know.

Also I believe I’ve read it’s a little more true to the original, not sure how true this is.
As @Robert already mentioned the Byzantium is identical to the OG BF-2. As is the Fraudhacker. I've built multiples of both and they all sound like a Boss BF-2. Really, it comes down to which size footprint you prefer. The Byzantium is a little more challenging in my opinion due to stacked boards but yeah, I can attest to both versions being true to the original circuit.

As @Robert already mentioned the Byzantium is identical to the OG BF-2. As is the Fraudhacker. I've built multiples of both and they all sound like a Boss BF-2. Really, it comes down to which size footprint you prefer. The Byzantium is a little more challenging in my opinion due to stacked boards but yeah, I can attest to both versions being true to the original circuit.
It’s funny because I thought your build report was where I read that. I went back and read it and nope. Now I’m trying to figure out where I read that… I know I did somewhere. By any means I kind of wish I would’ve done the Byzantium simply for the experience, I may do one of the other stacked boards as a warm up for the blue shift if I do finally decide to give that a go.

Back