Micro-Protoboard

All I need to breadboard is simple fuzzes. The fullsize Protoboard is overkill but the Micro lacks the pots. I wish there was a Protoboard Medium with 3 terminal blocks for pots.
I do fuzzes on the μ, and I use the breadbuddy boards from Madbean (take a look at posts #25 and 30)— I have about 30 of them, and just two of each common linear pot value, as well as a handful of A and C taper pots in select values

Im not gonna lie, as much as I like the big Protoboard as a concept, I typically bypass the pot blocks in favor of pots directly in circuit.
You mean you stick the pots in the breadboard? I read that's not good for the breadboard but boy does it save the hassle of using jumpers and alligator clips

I do fuzzes on the μ, and I use the breadbuddy boards from Madbean (take a look at posts #25 and 30)— I have about 30 of them, and just two of each common linear pot value, as well as a handful of A and C taper pots in select values
I've seen those, they're pretty good, though the pots are not hot swappable. Ordering from Europe is a hassle however...
It seems this pedal building thing is 70% paying shipping and import fees and 30% building :)

I've seen those, they're pretty good, though the pots are not hot swappable. Ordering from Europe is a hassle however...
It seems this pedal building thing is 70% paying shipping and import fees and 30% building :)
Yeah, that’s the one big downside.another good option is getting a bunch of these trimmers (they’re available elsewhere, so you should be able to find them from a supplier nearer to you— this was just the first link I found of them) which have knobs specifically for breadboarding. They’re usually just called breadboard trimmers actually

Yeah, that’s the one big downside.another good option is getting a bunch of these trimmers (they’re available elsewhere, so you should be able to find them from a supplier nearer to you— this was just the first link I found of them) which have knobs specifically for breadboarding. They’re usually just called breadboard trimmers actually
really cool, thanks

Reactions: fig
I use ribbon-wire w/ female sockets on the pots and the male end goes directly into the breadboard:

e79d3e2f-4ff3-435e-8975-d6a702e6f3cf-jpeg.24307

The ribbon-wire can be bought cheaply with the pins and sockets already attached, and you can choose from different lengths of wire to get whatever works best for you.

The great thing about this method is you don't use up any pots for strictly breadboarding, you can just pull the wires off and use the pot in the build you just breadboarded or in another build if you've run out of that pot value and can't wait to order more...

Nonetheless, I see the appeal of Bricksnbeatles breadboard-pot collection. I've got a few of those breadbuddies, maybe I'll be ordering more.

As for breadboard trimmers, why not use the multi-turn Bournes?
3296W%20SERIES.jpg

Oh, and @Bricksnbeatles, check out the GlassJaw — if you aren't already aware of it, it's basically an Acapulco Gold with buffers, a volume control and a tone-stack; I've also seen it with a clean-blend (IIRC). Makes for a lot more complexity in an otherwise simple circuit, but you get more control in return.

I use ribbon-wire w/ female sockets on the pots and the male end goes directly into the breadboard:

e79d3e2f-4ff3-435e-8975-d6a702e6f3cf-jpeg.24307

The ribbon-wire can be bought cheaply with the pins and sockets already attached, and you can choose from different lengths of wire to get whatever works best for you.

The great thing about this method is you don't use up any pots for strictly breadboarding, you can just pull the wires off and use the pot in the build you just breadboarded or in another build if you've run out of that pot value and can't wait to order more...

Nonetheless, I see the appeal of Bricksnbeatles breadboard-pot collection. I've got a few of those breadbuddies, maybe I'll be ordering more.

As for breadboard trimmers, why not use the multi-turn Bournes?
3296W%20SERIES.jpg

Oh, and @Bricksnbeatles, check out the GlassJaw — if you aren't already aware of it, it's basically an Acapulco Gold with buffers, a volume control and a tone-stack; I've also seen it with a clean-blend (IIRC). Makes for a lot more complexity in an otherwise simple circuit, but you get more control in return.
That’s a pretty cool method there! I’ll have to give that a go at some point.

Those multi turn trimmers are great (I use em a ton) but probably a bit of a hassle to use if you’re trying to quickly tweak settings— for bias and stuff like that, can’t be beat tho!

I’ll have to check out the glassjaw. While I proto’d the AG out of curiosity, it’s really not too much in my wheelhouse; I’m not crazy into the whole sludgy doom thing, as fun as it may be to mess around with. The glassjaw looks to make it a bit more versatile and like something I’d actually use. As it stands, I understand the appeal of the AG, but the only one I plan on ever building as a permanent circuit is simply because I have an amazing pun that I want to use for an enclosure, and the AG is the only circuit that would make sense for the idea. More of a conceptual art piece than something I’d ever actually use live or on recordings lol

I look forward to the PUNishment your signal receives when you complete your AG art.

You could probably make the durned thing more useful with just simply having both gain and volume controls.

Is that a BMP on the BB FF? :love:
Why yes, yes a Muff-derived circuit fangled into existence by our own Leader of the PPCBack — Quarantine aka Raincoat.

PS: with the method I use, it's EASY PEASY to swap out pots and try different tapers and values; while the memory of what the first pot tried behaved like is still fresh in your mind, you can be trying something wildly different such as a W-taper...

• Love
Reactions: fig
Back