Mini-Heterodyne not going well

Deperduci

Not really sure if this should be in trouble shooting general questions or some other category. was drag soldering this when... max 5 seconds contact and 3 pads ripped off. Flux was weller's electronics paste so no acid present. I thought the 1st time(SMD screamer) was something I did but now I might go back to your board supplier and rip some A. I had a bad feeling on this 1 when mouser sent me the wrong 4017's...

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0081.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0081.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 23
Ok, I'll look at the schematic myself but that is damn dodgy from them when pads rip off or was it since they went nowhere they had no traces to hold them on and they were a mechanical fastener?

They tend to lift easier when there's no traces connected, but you might want to check the temperature on your soldering iron.

They generally don't lift without a good bit of heat or physical stress.

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) these are a bit too large for drag soldering. I usually solder these pin-by-pin and only drag solder finer pitch ICs.

got 4 more chips to add so it's gettign the '3 second rule' IE just long enough to drip the solder off the iron on to the pin and back out again... IF I can get sent the right 4017's ><

Side. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...nVavdrUK3Rg==&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD what I received, bet I was half asleep when I order and missed the formatting :ROFLMAO: a pair only cost me buck and a quarter, think I saved that with how many resistors and film caps I put on same order:unsure:

Just have to make sure it's the narrow SOIC-16 instead of the TSSOP-16 but it'll have to wait until l get my Tayda order so I know which resistors to tack on... and can say this in hte TL072 thread.. might wish to avoid the STMicro made, I'll post a pic there after a nap, I can NOT tell which end is pin 1 at ALL... I'll tack that on to the order for some transformers, think Mouse had 2 models left close to wtf I need for my sushi hybrid amp projects or I'll wade through Digi-Key's crap looking for a toroid or 2, I definitely need 1 that has 18~25 vac output yet..

New challenge for this 1, which 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 end is pin 1 on this thing? some days I hate a few suppliers web software, swore I ordered the TI instead of ST Micro the notch with silver is on both ends.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0085.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0085.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 11
With these, the trick is usually to look from the end. One side will be straight up and down (or close to). The other side will be a double wedge. The datasheet will show which side is which. In your photo, the straight side is on the right and the "wedged" side is on the left

Edit: Cleverly the ST Micro datasheet for these doesn't show which side is wedged. The TI datasheet shows pin 1 on the wedged side. I am pretty sure this is a standard - every surface mount IC I can remember had pin 1 on the wedged side

Last edited:
Reactions: fig
That might be the camera angle i can't see that big a difference in person under a magnifier. but it starts smoking hopefully I can get the chip off w/o destroying the traces.. or I bin the pos and get a TI(at least they have a line on 1 end) through digikey :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the response.

Back