Mister Fuzz

MountaintopPedals

Is there a reason pedal pcb boards for pedals with GE transistors don't have trimpots for biasing the transistors? What resistors would be replaced with trimmers to bias the transistors on the Mister Fuzz?

Never noticed PPCB Ge-based boards not having trimmers.

I've read somewhere that trimmers (ie variable resistor) can be noisier than a fixed resistor. Whether it's true and to what degree (noisier on an oscilloscope but not to human ear?), I don't know. Trimpots have moving parts that may likely fail before a fixed resistor would. Fixed resistors can't accidentally be bumped from their optimum setting.

Breadboarding can be fun and allow you dial in a circuit before committing components to solder; You could play with R7 and R9 on the Mister Fuzz.

The FZ1 used the leakage of Q1 to bias the circuit…same as the MKI Tonebender. Hard to replace that with a trimpot…
Never noticed PPCB Ge-based boards not having trimmers.

I've read somewhere that trimmers (ie variable resistor) can be noisier than a fixed resistor. Whether it's true and to what degree (noisier on an oscilloscope but not to human ear?), I don't know. Trimpots have moving parts that may likely fail before a fixed resistor would. Fixed resistors can't accidentally be bumped from their optimum setting.

Breadboarding can be fun and allow you dial in a circuit before committing components to solder; You could play with R7 and R9 on the Mister Fuzz.
The Aion Tone Bender MK II I built sounds amazing and it has trimmers to Bias Q2 and Q3. The trimmer isn't going to fail as its set it and forget it. If you're worried about someone messing with it put an ink line across the trimmer at the bias point.

Aion Tone Bender
Screenshot_20230105_114729.png

Pedal PCB Bender
Screenshot_20230105_114938.png
Pedal PCB Maestro.
Screenshot_20230105_115457.png
I have 6 2N270 Transistors.

The Aion Tone Bender MK II I built sounds amazing and it has trimmers to Bias Q2 and Q3. The trimmer isn't going to fail as its set it and forget it. If you're worried about someone messing with it put an ink line across the trimmer at the bias point.

Aion Tone Bender
View attachment 39662

Pedal PCB Bender
View attachment 39663
Pedal PCB Maestro.
View attachment 39665
I have 6 2N270 Transistors.

The MKII is a different beast than the MK I Tonebender, which operates the same as the FZ-1. The MK II does not rely on the leakage of Q1, like the MKI/FZ-1...

There was no malicious intent to harm the trim pot industry... 🤣

At the time most of those were drawn up it was fairly common to order transistor sets from Smallbear, which in a lot of cases included the required value bias resistors.

You can easily replace any resistor with a trimpot with the Trimmit.

Back