SOLVED Muroidea not getting any power - UPDATE

Fuzz Wizard

Hello, I am still very new to pedal building and bought the Muroidea kit from stompboxparts after my first build was a failure. I followed the general workflow tips thread and even managed to get the pedal working on my audiotorium test platform which was a really amazing feeling and it sounded awesome. Unfortunately, after I got it boxed up and did all the off board wiring, the pedal doesn’t work at all. I’m getting no bypass or even an led.

This whole endever has been very discouraging. I’ve spent a lot of money already on supplies and a workbench and everything, followed every step in the workflow thread, and still I have nothing to show for it. I really want to learn and master building pedals but I really need some help because I honestly have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• B7F4ADBB-2583-4707-B94E-F77448281D38.jpeg
    B7F4ADBB-2583-4707-B94E-F77448281D38.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 59
It wouldn't be a bad idea to try reflowing all your solder joints. You can do it from the top side of the board even with an extra dab of solder on each one.

Can you measure the voltage at the cathode of the 1n5817 diode?
It’s measuring 9.28. I’m assuming the cathode is the side opposite the band?
It wouldn't be a bad idea to try reflowing all your solder joints. You can do it from the top side of the board even with an extra dab of solder on each one.
I’ll give this a try after work tomorrow. The only problem is that the pins for the IC socket are underneath the pot where I can’t reach them.

Okay, so I took the board out of the enclosure and reflowed all of the joints. Unfortunately I’m still only getting the led when the power is on, just the same as before.

The cathode is the side with the band. I’m trying to see if you’re getting power past the diode since the LED is before it. If not, that could explain why you don’t have power to the main circuit but the LED still illuminates.
Well from what I can tell only part on the board that is getting power is that diode, but not on the cathode. Am I supposed to be getting voltage on the cathode?

Attachments

• ED2A8B7E-5311-4CD5-9F0C-84388DB3D69B.jpeg
    ED2A8B7E-5311-4CD5-9F0C-84388DB3D69B.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 24042413-891B-4D7C-88AF-298C096E2220.jpeg
    24042413-891B-4D7C-88AF-298C096E2220.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
Yes and yes unfortunately. Do you think it could be a power supply issue? I have another pedal that has the exact same problem as this one. True bypass works, but when power is on there’s no sound but the LED lights up.
Tell us more about the power supply pls. What power supply are you using? Did you use it with your Auditorium? And what is the other pedal that has the same problem as this one? I’m curious about this!

You can rule out the diode as an issue by bypassing it with a jumper really quick, just make sure you use a proper power supply, as thats what the diode is there to protect you from.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all the great help. I apologize for taking so long to reply but I hardly have any free time right now. I’ve been using a cheap power supply from amazon, and after buying a new one from stompboxparts, my pedal works perfectly. Looks like the only issue was my power supply.

The only problem I’m having now is that the LED is no longer lighting up when it’s powered on. Other than that everything sounds perfect. I would of course welcome any potential solutions for the led though.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all the great help. I apologize for taking so long to reply but I hardly have any free time right now. I’ve been using a cheap power supply from amazon, and after buying a new one from stompboxparts, my pedal works perfectly. Looks like the only issue was my power supply.

The only problem I’m having now is that the LED is no longer lighting up when it’s powered on. Other than that everything sounds perfect. I would of course welcome any potential solutions for the led though.
So for the LED you might have it backwards!

Congrats!!!

I have taken to socketing my LEDs. I never can decide in a colour and have been known to get lines, triangles and funny arrows mixed up. It’s fairly obvious when the pedal’s on, so do yourself a favour. Take a break, play like hell and fix the LED later.

Back
Top Bottom