Mutron III- Madbean Naughty Fish

Harry Klippton

I started this build like a year ago, and there are some growing pains in this one. The enclosure had been sitting around and was from one of my first batches of no film, where I found out the hard way that if you trim the decal too close to the edge, it curls and doesn't adhere right.

The volume pot is optional and wasn't original to the mutron unit, but it seemed like a good idea. The build doc says to use a 9mm or 12mm pot but despite having read the build doc, I ended up with a 16mm pot anyway and made it work because fuck it.

This pedal is great. There are so many wacky sounds to be had, and lots and lots of unusable/unusual ones too. I wanted to throw together a quick bass clip today too but that didn't happen.

@thewintersoldier came in clutch and hooked me up with a couple of the 1/8w resistors I somehow forgot to order and a couple odd value caps back before xmas and I still couldn't make this one happen before the end of the year. Kids are wild and this was a one wire at a time job. Quick wank of a sound clip at the bottom with a couple different sounds. I think I was just switching from HI to LO
IMG_20220115_213946868~2.jpg IMG_20220115_213854077~2.jpg

I think the Mu-Tron III is considered their best envlope filter right? I think the dead heads like it and it sounds better to me than DOD one that pedalpcb has a pcb for

I thought I heard some funkalicious tunes coming from over here!

The halflings are sometimes tough to pick up once left behind, so extra props there!

Great build and riffing Will! :love:

The reissue dod is ota based and the original dod used an vtl5c4/2 which is suuuuper hard to find and the xvive reissue doesn't work well in the circuit. Madbean sells the vfe mini-mu which is a tweaked mutron since he discontinued the naughty fish board. Will nailed it!

I wonder if it's worth investigating the original DOD. The green DOD envelope filter was my first effect and I loved it.

Having already built the FX25 (from the Madbean Flunkee PCB) do you think it's worth attempting the original vactrol-based 440 version of the DOD?

I'm pretty sure I have original vtl5c4/2s from building the 440 a long time ago.

It was an early effect for me. One of those ones that worked when originally boxed in a tin can, but then trying to rebox it with a footswitch and proper DC jack I screwed something up and it ended up in my junk pile. I don't even know where the PCB layout came from. I think I took the General Guitar Gadgets one and straightened the tracks in photoshop before etching.

I guess I might as well try one eh? I can read opinions on TGP, but I won't know for sure unless I try. :)

I have compared them and the mini mu wins every category. Smaller form, more stability, better response, more range, more headroom.

61qxg7.jpg

Oh no, the good fun is leaking out into the civilized world!

I have compared them and the mini mu wins every category. Smaller form, more stability, better response, more range, more headroom.

Hey Betty, I know you've been in this game a lot longer than most of the people here. Could you give some advice to an envelope filter aficionado?

Have you tried an envelope filter that was not based on the Mutron III that you could recommend? I'm convinced that the VFE is the best Mutron-based envelope filter out there, but I want to add some others to my collection. And I'm a firm believer that you can never have too many envelope filters. :dmm:

Back