Muzzle hum

Hi,

I just finished my triple pedal :)
Triangulum boost -> hm-2 -> muzzle. Everything works but the gate creates a whistle sound when engage. And it’s crackling a lot when I am not playing. When the muzzle is not engaged it sounds awesome. And the the muzzle is on and set low so that the gate is open all is good. But when it kicks in it whistles. I have heard that 2 charge pumps in the same pedal can caus this problem. I have 2 questions on going forward with this build.
First, can I bypass the switch jack? I don’t need it and I suspect it might cause problems. The middle wire of the switch jack (green and is not connected) on my other muzzle I built 2 years ago I have connected to ground. But when I try to connect it it does nothing. The building docs doesn’t show the middle wire.
second, it the whistle sound comes from the 2 charge pumps, can I change the one in the muzzle or take it out?

Attachments

• 01B4916C-8948-49C6-AB9E-BB8BAD893360.jpeg
    01B4916C-8948-49C6-AB9E-BB8BAD893360.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I have gotten a tip from another forum that I should remove the charge pump in one of the pedals. Because 2 charge pumps can cause noise. Isn’t this component needed ti raise the internal voltage?

presumably you want the benefit of the higher voltage output from a charge pump on both of your pedals.

the question is whether you can remove one of the charge pumps and then tap into the higher voltage from the other pedal in the case that has a charge pump. that might me as simple as pulling one of the charge pump chips out of its socket and then using a jumper wire to connect the output from the remaining charge pump to the same connection where you removed the first charge pump.

that seems more efficient to just use one charge pump to power both pedals, but that may or may not fix your whine. search the forums for discussions about charge pumps and you can find some useful information related to what type of IC you are using and things to check if you are getting an audible high frequency noise.

Thanks for the reply :)
I have tweaked it and finished it now. It still behaves wired but I have learned how to set it. It’s strange because the noise comes when I set all the knobs a certain way so it sounds good and the when I raise the level on the boost or distortion the noise comes back but it I continue to raise the level the noise goes away. And it I raise the level on the boost and the gate starts to make noise I can lower or raise the threshold on the gate to get rid of the noise. Is this a power issue, meaning that one pedal draws more power and the gate starts to make noise or can this be something wrong with the pots? I have sanded the enclosure (it was delivered with paint inside) so that everything is grounded connected. But one of the pots is really hard to twist. Because the enclosure was smaller than I was expected the build it kind of tight so I had to use pots that have ears instead of the pcb mounting types. Should I try to change the pots or is there a way to ground them by connecting wires in between the pcb potentiometer connections or something? The 2 eq knobs does not effect the noise when I fiddle with them, but all level, distortion and gate threshold does.
any ideas?

try removing the know on the pot that is hard to turn and see if it is still hard to turn. if it is easier to turn, leave the knob a bit higher on the shaft when you reattach it.

Back