my brown betty doesn't work

skadjwls

I made 'Brown Betty', but it doesn't seem to work properly.

There was no 39k resistance, so when I left the R5 seat empty and tested it, I got fuzzy sound.
And I connected the 33k resistor and the 6k resistor in series to check the 39k value, and when I put it in the R5 position, I did not hear anything.

One by one, I confirmed that all resistances and capacitor values are correct.

I have verified that all the continuity that instructed from this thread to check is normal.

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/brown-betty.4721/ #post-39052

What should I check after this?

KakaoTalk_20240502_114409737.jpg KakaoTalk_20240502_114409737_01.jpg

Missing a part under the 220nf cap on the left?
Also, check soldering on the footswitch wires, pcb side. One looks cold.
That’s 39k resistor under 220nF cap.

And, when that resistor is removed, i can hear the sound. (very fuzzy, not good)

and if i put 39k resistor there, then no sound.

And I checked soldering at footswitch and other wiring, I couldn’t find problems. :(

My friend you need to work on your soldering skills, I looked for a joint that would demonstrate how they should look and didn't see one. Not trying to be mean, seriously trying to help!
Thank you, friend.

Can I give you any other information to help me find the problem?

Don't have anything to offer, but I hope you get it fixed.
The Brown Betty (in the Dirty Shirley config) is one of the best classic/vintage Marshall (AC/DC, The Cult 'Electric' album) pedals that I've found.
With the bass dialed back to 9 o'clock or lower, treble and presence around 3 o'clock, gain at noon to 1 o'clock, mids at 10-11 o'clock, volume go get the speaker going, it's got that 'bark' to it.
EDIT: I will add that I used 1S1588 (blue band silicon) diodes in mine.

Last edited:
제거한 39K 바로 아래 R4의 양쪽에 전압이 있습니까?
Oh, I found there's no voltage detected between both lugs of R4 and R3.
I replaced R4 to new one, but still no voltage detected.

and voltage detected at R1, R5.

Will this help identify the problem?

LED lugs are not bridged with other points.

Last edited:
Definitely before you do any more troubleshooting reflow the solder. All the cute little balls of solder are poor joints to the point that they probably don't actually connect the component to the PCB. Get them looking more like above, then we can talk about voltage measurements, audio signal paths etc

Back
Top Bottom