SOLVED My favorite kind of problem: Intermittent (Conqueror Fuzz)

chip

It's been a while since I've been this stumped.

I built a Conqueror Fuzz for a friend. It worked fine.

I shipped it to him and it was DOA. It worked in bypass; LED came on when engaged but no sound. Basic remote troubleshooting (correct power? correct jacks? volume up? etc.) didn't resolve anything.

He shipped it back. I confirmed that it wasn't working and took it out of the case. I then wired it up outside of the case and it worked...I didn't change anything. I thought for sure that it must have been something dumb, like the hot lead of a jack was shorting to the case. I very carefully put it back in the case, paying careful attention to the jacks, etc.

Then it got super fun: no sound when the effect was engaged AND the LED stopped working.

I thought maybe I broke an LED wire getting it back in the case, so I took it out again. I removed the LED and tested it outside the circuit, and it was blown. Not sure what that was all about...

I put a new LED in. [aside: I went on a whole wild goose chase with the CLR, because I saw that R100 was a 200R, which is numbered in the 100s and was physically close to the LED pads, and I was like "Oh, it's a bad silkscreen, that should be 4k7+" and then thought "how did the LED ever survive like that?" but ignored that second part and replaced resistor. That was all obviously in error...there's also an R101 that is actually the CLR and R100 is just something in the power supply. I then returned all of that to normal.]

Now the LED works, but even out of the case, the effect only kind of works. It is extremely quiet and overly fuzzy (nothing like it was when it was working the first time).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed here or what to check?

1675630975739.png

I had red and black wires soldered to + and -. I had red and black wires soldered to A and K. Guess what I did wrong? Ugh.

I still have no explanation for the primary issue that caused me to have to ship this internationally twice, but at least I have resolved the secondary issue that I manually created, and it works.

Back