Dim LED

DeadAirMD

So I built the Aion DZ4 preamp (love it) a while back, and have been having a ton of LED issues. The LED is insanely dim, I can barely tell when the pedal is engaged or not.

I've changed the CLR all over the board, removed the connection from the LED pads on the PCB to all over the board, changed LED colors multiple times........I'm at a total loss.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Started with the LED soldered to the LED pads, beyond dim, likely barely lit. Changed LED, still didn't work, changed LED color, no luck. Jumped the LED with/without clr from the 9v Jack, same result. Never had this happen before, beyond stumped.

I'm gonna give that a try when I get to my shop today. Not sure if the DC-DC converter is causing this issue or not. The docs call for the usual 4.7k, but you have to cup your hand over the light to make sure it's even on.

Is there another place on the actual PCB I can jump the LED to from the 9v DC jack to try that also? I used the breakout board for the foot switch as well, the LED struggles big time on its led pads.

I remember seeing in a post here a diagram for jumping an led from the DC connection to another place on the board, but can't seem to find that.

Absolutely, I'll be to my shop in an hour. I also built the PPCB version (Valhalla), so if all else fails, I'll fall back on that. Just like the signal I'm getting from Aion a bit more for my rig.

Sooo, the LED is blinding when I connect it from the DC jack to ground. So looks like the LED pads on the foot switch PCB are kaput.

Where else can I connect the cathode of the LED on the switch or main PCB so it turns on/off with bypass? Screenshot_20240114-120741~2.png Screenshot_20240114-120817~2.png Screenshot_20240114-120837.png

IMG_20240114_133504395.jpg

The yellow wire is going to the CLR/anode LED under the PCB, white unsoldered wire is cathode. CLR on anode is 2k2. Only works when I touch cathode to ground of 9v jack of course. LED pads on PCB do not work. Heat shrink on led under PCB. Effect works perfect minus no led.

If the LED pads don't work, what else can I attached the LED cathode to?

Check the voltage on the anode side of the LEDR pad on the daughterboard. You should be seeing close to 9V. If you don't get something close, check the voltage where +v connects to the daughterboard, if those voltages don't match, the problem may be in the footwsitch. If they do match, and they are less than 9v, then you have an issue with the power supply getting to the daughterboard. .

EDIT: Of course you need the pedal engaged to see voltage on the LEDR pad in case that wasn't obvious.

Last edited:
Back