SOLVED Neurocyton preamp help!

innerlight

Hi again all!
Just finished building the Neurocyton. It’s currently passing signal, however it’s a considerable volume drop from bypass when engaged. I attempted to bias the trimmers for the JFETs, these were my measurements.
1) 4.05
2) 8.6 (this was at the lowest setting on the trimmer)
3) 8.7 (this was also at the lowest setting)
4) 4.05.

I think all are meant to be set to 4v right? Would JFET 2 and 3 being too high indicate a wrong part in there somewhere?
Not sure where to begin here, photos attached for your perusal.
Thanks so much in advance all!

Attachments

• 7192A0D3-7082-46F4-BF9E-8F7118B4A2B6.jpeg
    7192A0D3-7082-46F4-BF9E-8F7118B4A2B6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Hi all! Checking back in from purgatory here.
I have now re-wired the foot-switch, Ive re-flowed all solder points (they all seemed fine), and checked all caps, pentameters, diodes and resistors against the BOM, all seem correct.
Ive also checked voltages on the JFETs,
Q1: 8.8 (at lowest possible adjustment)
Q2: 4.04
Q3: 8.6 (at lowest possible adjustment)
Q4: 4.05

Can someone possibly weigh in here? I am completely stuck. No idea what my next step should be.
Pedal is currently un-housed, passing signal in bypass, and I'm able to hear some noise when adjusting pots with the pedal engaged. LED is working.
I realize there's a little flux left on the PCB, ill give it a good clean now.
Photos in current state attached.
PLEASE HELP!
MANY MANY THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
Did you happen to measure the Vp and Iss of your jfets before they were in circuit?
It could be you have out-of-spec or fake jfets, which is not uncommon these days.

Reactions: fig
I’d audio probe the input pad of the pcb and determine if signal is making it to the board. From there, I’d probe pin 3 (gate) of each transistor for audio.

[corrected]

Last edited:
I’d audio probe the input pad of the pcb and determine if signal is making it to the board. From there, I’d probe pin 1 of each transistor for output.

Also, there are 4-bias adjustments (kinda like a Boogie Monster maybe?). Have you taken any voltage measurements from the drains (pin 3)?
I’ll try the probe tonight and I’ll report back! Thank you @fig.
Voltage measurements are above, seems like Q2 and 3 and getting too much voltage! If anyone has any ideas of how to address that please let me know.

You’ll want to rig an audio probe. What it does is create a bridge between the contact point and the output jack, or a cable to your amp.

A 12” length of wire
Alligator or grabber clip
10nF cap
paperclip
Solder one pin of the cap to the alligator clip and the other to the wire. solder the other end of the wire to the paperclip. Attach the alligator clip to the output jack (tip) of the pedal. Engage & power the effect, then run an audio signal through it. Carefully contact the mentioned points and you should hear audio. The cap is there to filter a bit of DC current, but I try to stay away from the power rails.
First, touch the input pad of the pcb, and let us know if you get audio.

You’ll want to rig an audio probe. What it does is create a bridge between the contact point and the output jack, or a cable to your amp.

A 12” length of wire
Alligator or grabber clip
10nF cap
paperclip
Solder one pin of the cap to the alligator clip and the other to the wire. solder the other end of the wire to the paperclip. Attach the alligator clip to the output jack (tip) of the pedal. Engage & power the effect, then run an audio signal through it. Carefully contact the mentioned points and you should hear audio. The cap is there to filter a bit of DC current, but I try to stay away from the power rails.
First, touch the input pad of the pcb, and let us know if you get audio.
OK, thanks @fig! I'm learning a lot over here.
Im going to build this probe in the coming days and report back.

Back