Noise problem in Ibby Bass?

jwin615

IMG_20240215_145954954.jpg
Went to final test my madbean boomboom/brassmaster build last weekend and my bass is suddenly squirrelly. Radio stations always and noise whenever anything grounded is touched.
Signal still present.
It's a modded Ibanez SGR505 or 525, can't remember, with a Dark glass tone capsule preamp swapped in for the cr*p stock preamp(highly recommend).
I reflowed the grounds, no change. I think the preamp electronics are skewing the resistance readings but string to pot is 2 ohms so I think my grounds are good.
I'm thinking the switched barrel jack is borked but figured I'd ask here before dropping money on one. Probably not going to have time to dig into until the weekend though. It seems like the switching is off, getting ~160k between input and ground but again, not sure how much of that is electronics and pickups.
Also. If anyone has a recommendation for a qualiry barrel input jack, I'm all ears. I have a cheap Chinese one I bought as an emergency use only(need it to work now/don't need it to work long) but I'd rather put a quality one in and only do it once.

Good news is it's not the brassmaster.
Thanks guys n gals.

Sounds like maybe a bypass issue? I've had pedals I've built exhibit noise similar to that, fixed by a 100n cap from +9V as soon as it comes into the pedal straight to the enclosure. This ensures that AC signals see + and ground at the same voltage potential and can help create a really effective shield through the enclosure. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's kinda the gist of it. Is your control cavity shielded with conductive paint? If not, that's 100% your first port of call. Either conductive paint or copper/aluminium tape (I recommend copper purely because aluminiunm is not readily able to be soldered).

Sounds like maybe a bypass issue? I've had pedals I've built exhibit noise similar to that, fixed by a 100n cap from +9V as soon as it comes into the pedal straight to the enclosure. This ensures that AC signals see + and ground at the same voltage potential and can help create a really effective shield through the enclosure. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's kinda the gist of it. Is your control cavity shielded with conductive paint? If not, that's 100% your first port of call. Either conductive paint or copper/aluminium tape (I recommend copper purely because aluminiunm is not readily able to be soldered).
I'm thinking it's an issue with the switching jack. I just got a new switchctaft in the mail yesterday afternoon and cleaned up the bench enough to work on the bass last night. No issues with other guitars, active or passive, and that pedal/chain. It's all well shielded and hasn't had issues previously so going to try the moving parts first...

Fair enough. Nothing is worse to deal with than a crappy jack. If that doesn't work, I would recommending drilling a small, short screw through the wood of your control cavity, then attach some sort of grounding tab to it, and to that tab, put a 100n cap from that to the + on your on board preamp. Make sure the grounding tab is well secured against the conductive paint with a star washer.

Back