Ocelot changing sound

Nic

I'm not sure about this circuit, it's one of my first builds and I've never been sure about the sound.

I made a video, but am not able to post it.
On my bass, just strumming hard on the E string, I get the octave effect, but every 1 or 2 seconds, there is a change in "pitch". It does on the 1 and 2 octaves. I tried on the guitar and it's not as pronounced, but more glitchy sounding.

Any obvious mistake ? Maybe bad ICs, the 072 where from ppcb, but cmos came from Tayda and I had better results sourcing ICs from mouser lately.

20221218_225739.jpg

I had the original OC2. It is a bit fiddly but once you get to know it you should be fine. On a bass you can't really use it much below the lowest B or C. You do best with a neck pickup, and plucking closer to the neck. You want lots of nice fundamental frequencies and not too much of the upper overtones. If you are getting too much of the upper frequencies then the circuit can get confused about which frequency is actually the note you are playing and you get glitchy pitch changes all over the place. Some people use that deliberately, but most don't like it. Playing with the volume knob can help too. There's not really a sweet spot, but there is range which works best.

The Ocelot is one of those circuits you have to adapt your playing to, not it to your playing.

Another thing that can help it track better is running a compressor before it, that way it gets consistent nice-even levels to help it track better. A bit of boost if the comp has a level or a separate boost pedal after the comp can also help — but you still need to do all the things PJS noted and play with an even consistent attack/touch/feel can then further help you dial in the Octaver.

I had the original OC2. It is a bit fiddly but once you get to know it you should be fine. On a bass you can't really use it much below the lowest B or C. You do best with a neck pickup, and plucking closer to the neck. You want lots of nice fundamental frequencies and not too much of the upper overtones. If you are getting too much of the upper frequencies then the circuit can get confused about which frequency is actually the note you are playing and you get glitchy pitch changes all over the place. Some people use that deliberately, but most don't like it. Playing with the volume knob can help too. There's not really a sweet spot, but there is range which works best.
Thanks, at least now I know that the build is more than likely doing what it's supposed to do. I'm notsure if I plan on keeping this one, but would not want to sell it if it's not doing it's thing. Will need to experiment a bit.
The Ocelot is one of those circuits you have to adapt your playing to, not it to your playing.

Another thing that can help it track better is running a compressor before it, that way it gets consistent nice-even levels to help it track better. A bit of boost if the comp has a level or a separate boost pedal after the comp can also help — but you still need to do all the things PJS noted and play with an even consistent attack/touch/feel can then further help you dial in the Octaver.
I guess I'll give it a try paired with the byrdhoure, since it's the one I have on hand! Definitely need some time to play with those two.

Back