Octagon

flemming

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is my first FV-1 build. I'm not quite sure why I had low expectations, but there are a lot of fun sounds in this thing. Soldering the FV-1 chip was no big deal, I just did it one pin at a time. I initially built it with the FV-1 Clock Module, but when I fired it up it was noisy and had a weird static sound at times. I read somewhere that the clock module can be noisy so I switched it back to the crystal and the problem still existed. An accidental 100K resistor instead of a 100R was the root cause, but I didn't bother to put the clock module back after I fixed it. I'll save that for the Hydra I have on deck. The enclosure was printed by AmplifyFun and I really wanted to come up with something for the graphic that allowed for designating each effect without using a legend or some other silly list. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. The 1900H knobs are a little too tall and make accessing the chicken head a little hard in some positions, but I couldn't find any other small diameter brown knobs at the time to use instead. I should totally contribute sound clips, but I'm a shy guy ;) A couple effects stand out to me after playing with it for a bit. Shimmer Reverb can make cool organ like background tones that drone underneath picked notes. The Dual Pitch Shifter can be used to create a 12-string like effect. I also tinkered with shifting one to the 3rd and the other to the 5th to generate chords and that was kinda fun. Daydream is fun just to randomly noodle on and see what magic happens.

PXL_20220719_031654454_2.jpg original_592bd72e-bd2c-49cd-a216-209977033832_PXL_20220719_031309271_2.jpg

It's crazy how I've tried to make the text smaller and smaller to label the modes (and failed), then you come along and blow them out across the entire enclosure and it fits just fine.

Sometimes you just have to embrace the problem 😀 If you ever end up offering printed enclosures, like you mentioned in a different thread I might be up for offering up some designs.

I'm working on it now. The printer will be here this week....

Now I'm trying to work out the logistics of moving a 900lb CNC up three steps, through a doorway, and getting it positioned. Know a crew of really strong folks? :ROFLMAO:

I wonder how many helium balloons it would take to lighten the load..... :unsure: 🎈🎈

Know a crew of really strong folks? :ROFLMAO:
Find the local power lifting sports club (not bodybuilders). We had an oversize fridge to get from a 4th floor apartment into a truck, and we had a local power lifting club we used to visit now and then to watch the tournaments. A couple of their guys came out and just carried it down. A crate of beer for their trouble.

I wonder how many helium balloons it would take to lighten the load..... :unsure: 🎈🎈
at minimum, one. Now if you want to appreciably lighten the load, that’s a different question.
…to which the answer is again, at minimum, one. You never specified balloon size.
Assuming you want to lighten the load a considerable amount with regular sized helium balloons… well I don’t know how to do THAT math.

Back