Paragon / King of Tone

Erik S

Catching up on build reports! This one has been done for a while, and I've spent a lot of time playing through it. Sounds really great. I downloaded the @ckaudioeffects mod docs, and implemented a lot of them (all the capacitor value subs I think) I opted not to add all the external switches, as that looked like a lot of work. If you're thinking of building one of these, definitely check these out: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/paragon-pcb-mods.10487/ A lot of work has gone into documenting and sharing all the options for this circuit.

I put in the "high gain option" resistor on both sides, and did the "more gain range" mod (pot value change) as recommended by @Chuck D. Bones. I populated the board months ago, so I'm forgetting the values right now, but that's all documented very well by @MichaelW and others who have done really great build reports on these that I found very helpful in my build process.

I've never played a King of Tone, or a stock Paragon, so I've got no basis for comparison on the mods, but all came recommended from well respected builders, so seemed like a safe bet to me.

I did have a small nightmare where I completely soldered all the connections on the big double-daughterboard before realizing I had placed it on upside down. Desoldering that without ruining it felt like a big acheivement.

DIY sheet metal enclosure for this one. The box came out okay, but the clear coat is a little rough. It came out a little orange peel-y from the beginning, then I managed to get some flux cleaner solvent on it, and messed it up some more. Oh well. I've never had a clear coat come out perfect, and other than that I'm very happy with the pedal.
F0B63488-6467-4465-BD79-93DBC477F42F.jpeg
B6F7F14A-269B-424A-9754-EADDB8F2DCAC.jpeg
44184F59-499A-44E1-A704-EFA16E680727.jpeg
FB3B9E79-2742-4153-A98D-94BF2B7BED45.jpeg
1B4C49F8-525D-48B7-A8CD-FC25FBC30187.jpeg

Good job on the enclosure and also really good job on not completely toasting the dual footswitch board. That's not an easy task. How do you like the pedal?
Thanks! I think solder braid made a big difference on that desolder job. Got the bulk out with the sucker, then braid for the last little bits.

The pedal sounds great. It’s set up Soft clipping on one side, hard on the other, and with the wide gain range and ability to stack the two sides you can really fine tune it at a lot of different levels.

For as much time as I’ve spent messing with pedals this year I weirdly have almost no experience with basic overdrives. My second pedal was a Kliche/ Klon clone, but other than that all the dirt stuff I’ve bought or built has all been distortion or fuzz- rat variants, big muffs, fuzz faces, Duocast, DS1. I have the ppcb timmy and plumes boards on the build schedule, but I have a lot of exploring left to do in the overdrive world. Any suggestions for what I should add to the list next?

Nice! Congratz. Can we hear the result?
Thanks! I’d like to try recording some pedal demos at some point, but I haven’t yet - partly I’m a little sheepish about my playing, but also because it seems like recording them is a lot of work to do well. I don’t have a DAC or any mics either, and that’s a whole other gear rabbit hole I’m not ready to go down yet.

In the mean time my demo-hero @MichaelW built a paragon recently to what I assume are similar specs:

Thanks! I think solder braid made a big difference on that desolder job. Got the bulk out with the sucker, then braid for the last little bits.

The pedal sounds great. It’s set up Soft clipping on one side, hard on the other, and with the wide gain range and ability to stack the two sides you can really fine tune it at a lot of different levels.

For as much time as I’ve spent messing with pedals this year I weirdly have almost no experience with basic overdrives. My second pedal was a Kliche/ Klon clone, but other than that all the dirt stuff I’ve bought or built has all been distortion or fuzz- rat variants, big muffs, fuzz faces, Duocast, DS1. I have the ppcb timmy and plumes boards on the build schedule, but I have a lot of exploring left to do in the overdrive world. Any suggestions for what I should add to the list next?
You already hit my favorites- duocast and paragon. I'm not a big overdrive guy either
Thanks! I’d like to try recording some pedal demos at some point, but I haven’t yet - partly I’m a little sheepish about my playing, but also because it seems like recording them is a lot of work to do well. I don’t have a DAC or any mics either, and that’s a whole other gear rabbit hole I’m not ready to go down yet.

In the mean time my demo-hero @MichaelW built a paragon recently to what I assume are similar specs:

I don't mind phone quality demos if your phone can handle it. I used to have a phone that handled band-level volume videos with no problem but my current POS phone can't handle high or even moderate volume so I don't try anymore

I don't mind phone quality demos if your phone can handle it. I used to have a phone that handled band-level volume videos with no problem but my current POS phone can't handle high or even moderate volume so I don't try anymore
This. This is pretty much my problem right now. Any amount of volume jump when recording through my phone just sounds like crap.

Back