DEMO Paragon & Pauper 2023 Redux

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So some of you that have read my rambling typically overly verbose posts may recall that I got into pedal making because I wanted a King of Tone pedal and didn't feel like waiting 4 years or paying $800 from the flippers on Reverb.

About a year and a half ago, after finding this forum and the PedalPCB.com website, I decided to try my hand at building my own King of Tone in the form of the Paragon.

It was the very first pedal I made and it worked!! (once I remembered to put the IC's in hahaha)

My original intention was to just build the Paragon and move on......who the heck knew what kind of rabbit hole I'd fall down into!

I went on to build a number of other variants of the KOT/POT and built them for my buddy and my brother.
My final Paragon build was not long after my first one. Documented here.

I also built the variants from AionFX and PCBGuitarMania as well as the Paragon Mini and Pauper.

Having wrung that turnip dry I moved on to other pedals. And now some 240 pedals later, my build process and build quality has improved dramatically from those first few pedals. I decided to revisit the Paragon and Pauper (and maybe a Paragon Mini at some point).
The point was to see if I could do better now with some experience.

So I built a Paragon with some of my favorite mods. @ckaudioeffects "warmer tone" mods and @Chuck D. Bones "more gain range mod" and dropping the charge pump..

I also eschewed all the mini toggles exposing all the various modes that are on dip switches internally.

I've also incorporated a couple of other mods and learnings after playing these pedals a while. Like swapping the 4580 for a 4558 one one side of the Paragon for some more gain and compression. Also, one other thing I've learned about these somewhat bright and fizzy pedals is adjusting the internal presence trimmer to almost completely off. I used to think the presence trimmers were useless, but I've discovered that I really like how the pedal sounds much better with the presence trimmer just barely cracked open.

Ok so, that's the background of why I decided build new versions of these pedals. To get a snapshot of how I am building today as opposed to when I was just starting out 18 months or so ago.

So irony of ironies.......when I finished the new Paragon and fired it up...................it didn't work........heh.

No bypass, no effect. Turned out to be a bad 3PDT of all things. And I used one of the "good" SBP "Pro" ones, sheesh. And of course this is probably the absolute WORST project in the whole PedalPCB catalog to have to replace a footswitch! After some choice cursing in Chinese (and I don't even speak Chinese....) I thought about how best to remove the footswitch. My fallback plan was to do away with the daughterboard and do all the off board wiring manually. (and waste TWO footswitches). But before going down that route I thought I'd give a go at trying to remove it.

So I made liberal use of my Engineers Solder Sucker and got as much solder out as I could. I went about as far as I dared heating up the daughterboard trying not to pop a barrel or burn a trace. Then I used a hacksaw and a Dremel cutting wheel and slowly cut through the lugs. I finally got it off and replaced the 3PDT and voila! Success!

Actually I'm amazed that the pedal works at all, I scratched the mask pretty good in a few places. Anyway, it's got some battle scars but works, heh.

I still have a stash of my favorite diodes for these and used BA282's for the soft clippers and 1S1588's for the hard clippers.
I used a B250k pot for the gain instead of a B100k (per Chuck) which gives me a lot more gain range and have the dip switches set to soft clipping in channel 1 and hard in channel 2. I used a 4580 in Channel 1 and a 4558 in channel 2. A few Carbon Comp resistors in the signal path (@ckaudioeffects "mojo" mods)

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

Part of my surgery......
IMG_5209.JPG

Some pretty serious scratches but it still worked!!

IMG_5210.JPG

The Pauper:

I also built another Pauper. My first one is documented here. Built in March 2022.
I also bailed on exposing the DIP switches on toggles on this one as well as the effect they have is pretty subtle and I generally run them both on anyway.
The only mods on this was was the high gain mod (B250K pot) and using a 4558 in place of the 4580. The Opamp in these circuits seem to make a much bigger difference than I usually hear in other circuits. The 4558 seems to add significantly more gain to my ears.

I also used BA282's for the clippers in this one. No build issues for the Pauper thank goodness!

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

So how do they sound? Well......um....pretty much like my other ones, heh. But still glad I did it.
Along with the King's Hand (Kingtone Heavy Hand) these are still my favorite Bluesbreaker variants.
(I kinda liked the Pot & Kettle too but have such a sour taste from all the whining and melodrama from a certain pedal "designer" that I don't even want to play it anymore. Kinda the same reason I won't ever build a Vertex clone. I just can't separate the product from the associated douchebaggery, heh)

Anyway, I tried to record a demo of the Paragon and the Pauper. Well I actually DID record a demo but it's been one of those days where my hands and fingers are feeling their age and being totally uncooperative. So I'll ask for forgiveness in advance for the playing but the pedals sound great!

Wow wow that sounds excellent! Great build report and better pedals! I still haven’t built the Paragon I need to get on it!

I like this demo with all the clams. Sounds more like we're sitting in the room together just farting around. I get the desire to play well without mistakes in front of others, but I like this more "authentic" way of playing.

I really liked my paragon, much more than I had expected. I kind of built it just because I could, but I never wanted both sides at the same time. It sounds like you've balanced the two sides really well to make them play nice together. Ultimately, I took the paragon off my board in favor of the pot and kettle just for space considerations, even though it has all those useless switches. I still might replace it with a pauper but I like the art I put on my pot and kettle. Oddly enough, I like both pedals at 18v too, but then again I've never heard a guitar tone that was too bright ever.

I've also thought about doing another one to try some of those mods. To skip the charge pump stuff you just need to jumper those 5817 pads?

Do you like the BA282s over the BAS33s? I've been digging the BAS33s in my build.

What's the drama with Snouse and Vertex??? Inquiring minds want to know!!! I've never had any desire to buy a Vertex pedal. Mostly because the guy sorta annoys me. For no real reason. Same with JHS.

I've also thought about doing another one to try some of those mods. To skip the charge pump stuff you just need to jumper those 5817 pads?

Do you like the BA282s over the BAS33s? I've been digging the BAS33s in my build.

What's the drama with Snouse and Vertex??? Inquiring minds want to know!!! I've never had any desire to buy a Vertex pedal. Mostly because the guy sorta annoys me. For no real reason. Same with JHS.
Jumper D14 -D15 in series, leave out C21, C22, change C10 to 100uf.
I've got a ton of BAS33's too. I like the 282's a tad more, they sound a little beefier to me. The BAS33 sounds close to the original MA856/858's to my ears.

I’m waiting on some new footswitches to build my first KOT, and I’m glad that put the build on hold, because now I have some new ideas to incorporate. I’ll definitely be doing the 250k gain pots since you seem to have such high praise of them, but the warmer tone mod and the 4558 seem worth exploring too!

So you did it to save time and money.... how much this whole quest has cost you now ? :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, I really enjoy your build reports !

Thank you for this post! I've spent hours researching on how to build my first paragon and now I have an idea of what I want. Did you source all of your parts from the ckaudioeffects list or did you use other ones? I'm trying to put up a list of links to the parts needed, but I'm still a beginner and the capacitors have too many similar names in Taday so I have to sitdown and carefully figure out if its the correct one (like the 56pF/33nF stuff like that...)

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll report back my build soon.

Thank you for this post! I've spent hours researching on how to build my first paragon and now I have an idea of what I want. Did you source all of your parts from the ckaudioeffects list or did you use other ones? I'm trying to put up a list of links to the parts needed, but I'm still a beginner and the capacitors have too many similar names in Taday so I have to sitdown and carefully figure out if its the correct one (like the 56pF/33nF stuff like that...)

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll report back my build soon.
Hey @Rhyuk, I pretty much followed @ckaudioeffects BOM.

Alright, so heres my contribution. I used @ckaudioeffects document and suppliers to buy all I needed. It required me to order from 3 different places either due to unvailability or saving a few cents here and there. I'm not installing the charge pump and decided to test the 4550 and 4588 ICs just like @MichaelW.

Note: Some items are sold in packs and some I bought a few spares because I know I will screw up lol!

QtyProductSKUPriceTotal
1 ×Resistors - 0.5 Watt, Carbon CompositionR-I1K
$3.45​
$3.45​
Resistance: 1 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 0.5 Watt, Carbon CompositionR-I6D8K
$3.45​
$3.45​
Resistance: 6.8 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 0.5 Watt, Carbon CompositionR-I10K
$3.45​
$3.45​
Resistance: 10 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 1/4 Watt, Carbon Film, 5% toleranceR-C1K
$0.48​
$0.48​
Resistance: 1 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 1/4 Watt, Carbon Film, 5% toleranceR-C100K
$0.48​
$0.48​
Resistance: 100 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 1/4 Watt, Carbon Film, 5% toleranceR-C4D7K
$0.48​
$0.48​
Resistance: 4.7 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 1/4 Watt, Carbon Film, 5% toleranceR-C33K
$0.48​
$0.48​
Resistance: 33 kΩ
1 ×Resistors - 1/4 Watt, Carbon Film, 5% toleranceR-C220K
$0.48​
$0.48​
Resistance: 220 kΩ
10 ×Capacitor - Kemet, R82 Series, Polyester, 5mm SpacingC-R82-10N
$0.25​
$2.50​
Capacitance: 10 nF
5 ×Capacitor - Kemet, R82 Series, Polyester, 5mm SpacingC-R82-22N
$0.25​
$1.25​
Capacitance: 22 nF
5 ×Capacitor - Kemet, R82 Series, Polyester, 5mm SpacingC-R82-33N
$0.25​
$1.25​
Capacitance: 33 nF
5 ×Capacitor - Kemet, R82 Series, Polyester, 5mm SpacingC-R82-100N
$0.29​
$1.45​
Capacitance: 100 nF
4 ×Capacitor - Kemet, R82 Series, Polyester, 5mm SpacingC-R82-1U
$0.52​
$2.08​
Capacitance: 1 μF
2 ×Switch - DIP, Slide, 0.1" SpacingP-HDIP1-4
$0.59​
$1.18​
Sections: 4
4 ×IC Socket - Dual in-line package, 2.54mm Pitch, 7.62mm SpacingP-STIC-8
$0.35​
$1.40​
Number of Pins: 8 pins
3 ×Wire - Gavitt, Cloth, 22AWG Stranded, Top Coat Pre-TinnedS-W902B
$0.89​
$2.67​
Color: Black
3 ×Wire - Gavitt, Cloth, 22AWG Stranded, Top Coat Pre-TinnedS-W902R
$0.89​
$2.67​
Color: Red
3 ×Op-Amp - NJM4558, Dual high-gain, 8-Pin DIPP-Q4558
$0.90​
$2.70​

1/3

Last edited:

Note: The shipping charge here sucks for such a small quantity of items. If you have other projects it may be a good idea to shop now.

Product DetailQtyPriceExt Total
Mfr.:
10​
$0.05​
$0.46​
KOA Speer
Mfr.'s Part #:
CFS1/4CT52R682J
Desc.:
Carbon Film Resistors - Through Hole 6.8K OHM 5% 1/4W
Mfr.:
10​
$0.05​
$0.46​
KOA Speer
Mfr.'s Part #:
CFS1/4CT52R273J
Desc.:
Carbon Film Resistors - Through Hole 27K OHM 5% 1/4W
Mfr.:
10​
$0.15​
$1.47​
Vishay
Mfr.'s Part #:
VR25000001004JR500
Desc.:
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 1M ohms 5%
Mfr.:
10​
$0.08​
$0.75​
KOA Speer
Mfr.'s Part #:
MF1/4LCT52R473J
Desc.:
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4 WATT 47K OHM 5%
Mfr.:
10​
$0.19​
$1.94​
Vishay
Mfr.'s Part #:
MAL203855101E3
Desc.:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 100uF 16V 5x11mm ...
Mfr.:
10​
$0.17​
$1.71​
Panasonic
Mfr.'s Part #:
ECE-A1VN100U
Desc.:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Radial Leaded 10UF 35V SU BI-P ...

2/3

Last edited:

@StompBoxParts (www.stompboxparts.com)

1590BBS EnclosureQty: 1$12.00 USD
ENC-1590BBS-Fury
Color: Purple Fury Metallic
$12.00 USD
BA282 - Small Signal Schottky DiodeBA282 - Small Signal Schottky DiodeQty: 10$10.00 USD
DI-1040
Brand: Vishay
$1.00 USD
1N5817 - Schottky Diode - 10 pack1N5817 - Schottky Diode - 10 packQty: 1$2.00 USD
DI-1027
$2.00 USD
16mm Potentiometer - Short PCB Leg - ALPHA16mm Potentiometer - Short PCB Leg - ALPHAQty: 5$4.00 USD
POT-AL-41-B250k
Brand: Alpha
Value: B-250k
$0.80 USD
16mm Potentiometer - Short PCB Leg - ALPHA16mm Potentiometer - Short PCB Leg - ALPHAQty: 5$4.00 USD
POT-AL-41-A100k
Value: A-100K
$0.80 USD
MLCC Ceramic Capacitor - 10 packMLCC Ceramic Capacitor - 10 packQty: 1$1.30 USD
CAP-MLC-560
Value: 56pf
$1.30 USD
MLCC Ceramic Capacitor - 10 packMLCC Ceramic Capacitor - 10 packQty: 1$1.30 USD
CAP-MLC-101
Value: 100pf
$1.30 USD
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor - Fine Gold Audio - 10 packAluminum Electrolytic Capacitor - Fine Gold Audio - 10 packQty: 1$4.00 USD
CAP-FG-1u
Brand: Nichicon
Value: 1uf - 50v
$4.00 USD
BAT41 - Schottky Diode - 10 PackBAT41 - Schottky Diode - 10 PackQty: 2$2.40 USD
DI-1029
$1.20 USD
POT-AL-41-B25k
Value: B-25k
$0.80 USD
Trim Pot 3362P CermetTrim Pot 3362P CermetQty: 5$1.75 USD
TRIM-233-62-503
Value: 50k
$0.35 USD
JRC4580D - Dual OpAmp ICJRC4580D - Dual OpAmp ICQty: 3$3.00 USD
IC-400-1180
Brand: Nisshinbo Micro Devices
$1.00 USD