Parentheses Build

It’s not an extremely complex build, I think the most important part of it is to match and measure all the octave circuit parts up...green ringers/tentacles are ruthless as they run two parallel circuits and sum them up for the effect so they have to be pretty precise.

Yeah I measured up most of the components to minimise the weirdness of the ringer. This one works pretty well but the octave functions more like an alternative gain stage than a true octave effect in my opinion. I'll try and tee up a demo.

While scanning the internets for Ringer veroboard layouts, the advice I've seen goes like this (sharing for general interest):

Make the guitar sound as close to a signal generator as possible. Aim for a sine tone.
  • Use the neck pickup
  • roll the tone back on the guitar
  • use a compressor before the octaver
  • provide appropriate gain for the guitar
  • play at the 7th fret or higher
Really curious about the Parentheses, looking forward to hearing more.

This one works pretty well but the octave functions more like an alternative gain stage than a true octave effect in my opinion.

Yep, that's my experience (with the original as well)... You could mistake it for a pre-dirt boost with some additional EQing if you didn't know better.

It’s just really not that nice of an octave effect lol. It adds texture in this circuit for sure, whether it’s useful or not...who knows, probably better off buying a robe.

Definitely makes it different than just a rat circuit. The texture is nice. Check out the preview of Pyroclasts and it sounds way more like that than life metal. More harmonies with the cello as well.

Back
Top Bottom