[PedalPCB Sea Horse] Under the Sea! Cloning the Quirky EQD Sea Machine

Fingolfen

I've been on a bit of a modulation kick lately, and I'd done a fair number of Earthquaker devices clones recently as well - so this sort of combines both of those worlds. I'd also messed around with the "real thing" at my local guitar store, and thought it would be a fun build - plus it will give me the opportunity to take my build and compare it next time I'm by!

PedalPCB Sea Horse - Kronosaurus Chorus - 01.jpg

For this build I started with the excellent PedalPCB Sea Horse board. As with all PedalPCB boards, its tight, yet incredibly well laid out. In order to fit the pedal neatly into a 125B enclosure the layout calls for 1/8W resistors rather than the more typical 1/4W resistors. I ended up using Yageo 1/6W resistors rather than the 1/8W resistors as they are the same size (3.4mm) and the leads were a little more substantial. Almost all of the film caps are WIMA, though there is one Panasonic as well. The electrolytic capacitors are all WIMA. The layout includes three fairly substantial integrated circuits -including a PT2399 delay chip which is the primary modulation chip. All of these have been socketed.

PedalPCB Sea Horse - Kronosaurus Chorus - 02.jpg

In order to accommodate the enclosure art, I decided to move the LED from its normal position on the main PCB right above the daughter board connectors to a position to the left of the stomp switch (viewed from the top). All of the potentiometers, especially the three that can easily come in contact with the PCB itself, have dust covers. The main PCB is attached to the daughter board with a ribbon cable, and all of the jack connections are insulated with heat-shrink tubing.

PedalPCB Sea Horse - Kronosaurus Chorus - 03.jpg

In keeping with the "Under the Sea" theme, the pedal features an aquatic dinosaur - the Kronosaurus. I found some decent licensable art online and combined the dinosaur (getting ready to snack on a couple of nautilus) with a suitable undersea backdrop and graphics. In terms of the sound, it matches the demos I've seen online of the pedal. It's a fairly complex pedal because of all of the different controls, but it certainly gives you a lot more options than you get from a typical chorus pedal

A little bit more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/03/under-sea-cloning-quirky-eqd-sea-machine.html

I've been on a bit of a modulation kick lately, and I'd done a fair number of Earthquaker devices clones recently as well - so this sort of combines both of those worlds. I'd also messed around with the "real thing" at my local guitar store, and thought it would be a fun build - plus it will give me the opportunity to take my build and compare it next time I'm by!

View attachment 43430

For this build I started with the excellent PedalPCB Sea Horse board. As with all PedalPCB boards, its tight, yet incredibly well laid out. In order to fit the pedal neatly into a 125B enclosure the layout calls for 1/8W resistors rather than the more typical 1/4W resistors. I ended up using Yageo 1/6W resistors rather than the 1/8W resistors as they are the same size (3.4mm) and the leads were a little more substantial. Almost all of the film caps are WIMA, though there is one Panasonic as well. The electrolytic capacitors are all WIMA. The layout includes three fairly substantial integrated circuits -including a PT2399 delay chip which is the primary modulation chip. All of these have been socketed.

View attachment 43431

In order to accommodate the enclosure art, I decided to move the LED from its normal position on the main PCB right above the daughter board connectors to a position to the left of the stomp switch (viewed from the top). All of the potentiometers, especially the three that can easily come in contact with the PCB itself, have dust covers. The main PCB is attached to the daughter board with a ribbon cable, and all of the jack connections are insulated with heat-shrink tubing.

View attachment 43432

In keeping with the "Under the Sea" theme, the pedal features an aquatic dinosaur - the Kronosaurus. I found some decent licensable art online and combined the dinosaur (getting ready to snack on a couple of nautilus) with a suitable undersea backdrop and graphics. In terms of the sound, it matches the demos I've seen online of the pedal. It's a fairly complex pedal because of all of the different controls, but it certainly gives you a lot more options than you get from a typical chorus pedal

A little bit more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/03/under-sea-cloning-quirky-eqd-sea-machine.html
Great build and build report as usual!

View attachment 43430

View attachment 43431

View attachment 43432

hehe there's a museum in Australia dedicated to this beast:

I'm in the process of building one of these. The resistors I have, which I got from Stomp Box parts, seem to be too big. I've made them fit, more or less, by having them sit up high on one end. But I'm curious where people are getting smaller resistors. These seem to be a pretty standard size, really. (Most of my DIY stuff is in two-channel audio gear.) Same goes for the caps. The ones I have are just slightly larger, so they're crowded in somehow.

I'm in the process of building one of these. The resistors I have, which I got from Stomp Box parts, seem to be too big. I've made them fit, more or less, by having them sit up high on one end. But I'm curious where people are getting smaller resistors. These seem to be a pretty standard size, really. (Most of my DIY stuff is in two-channel audio gear.) Same goes for the caps. The ones I have are just slightly larger, so they're crowded in somehow.
You can order 1/8 watt resistors from Mouser or Digikey or other sources depending on your location.

I’d have to check out the schematic for which resistor it was but for my strip board build of this I put a switch in that removed the dry signal alit was kind of a neat little mod for particular setting.

Last edited:

View attachment 43430

View attachment 43431

View attachment 43432

My first Sea Machine had 1/4 watt resistors. It doesn't look as nice as yours😆.

On another note, any chance you could replace the nautilus with Zara from Jurassic World?

Also, why is it that innocent people always get the most brutal deaths in this franchise?

I like the build of course, it's beautiful, as all your work is. But my main concern is would a Kronosaurs really have snacked on a Nautilus? I would have thought that the shell would have presented a formidable obstacle. Of course the only Nautiluses I have ever seen were fossilised, so maybe they weren't quite so formidable before fossilisation? You'd break a tooth on those I have seen.

Having said that I'm pleased that you went with a Kronosaur rather than a Plesiosaur. Everyone and his dog does the Plesiosaur.

Back