The Space Between Us - Super Heterodyne Receiver build (Tayda UV)

kerryfine

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
3rd build in 1 week!
“The Space Between Us” - a reference to the outer space like sounds and the space between all the octaves of this pedal.

Super Heterodyne Receiver (EQD Data Corrupter)

Pretty fun pedal still learning how to use it. Is it typical for there to be an intermittent sound at all times when using the Osc side of the pedal even without playing? Assuming it’s from the oscillator circuit making noise but just want to ensure it’s not a faulty chip.

As usual, demo soon but for now feel free to check out my website with my psychedelic art and pedal builds www.kerryefine.com 😊

Attachments

• IMG_8406.jpeg
    IMG_8406.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8413.jpeg
    IMG_8413.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8408.jpeg
    IMG_8408.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 61
Third-ing this. The whole build is great inside and out, but I still can't get past the incredible artwork. Really nice work, @kerryfine.
Thank you! 😊 I keep looking back at it too haha
Wow! Good job on the layout and artwork. I’m not sure what noise yours is making but I found the one I built to make a fair amount of unintended/uncontrolled sounds.
Thank you! Yes I believe it’s just the oscillator making unintended sounds. Not noticeable when playing though.

The noise is normal.

Yep I was gonna bring this up. Thank you for the confirmation. I finished a Super Heterodyne Receiver last weekend, and wasn't sure if it was operating correctly.

I found settings that were pretty stable (glide up, rate high), and others settings where it was pretty difficult to get it to stop making noise. I've seen some youtube demos of the EQD Corrupter where the artist demoing was having trouble getting it to stop making noise.

Oh man guys I’m gonna have to implement the Tracking switch mod. Just did a rough wiring on it and it is very usable. Thinking I’ll put it on the top of the box (next to the jacks) so I don’t ruin my art 😬

- The tracking mod basically just adds a wire from the left pad of R9 that goes to the center lug of a SPST toggle, one outer lug is left unconnected to anything, the other outer lug connects to one leg of a .1uf cap and the other leg goes to ground.

Oh man guys I’m gonna have to implement the Tracking switch mod. Just did a rough wiring on it and it is very usable. Thinking I’ll put it on the top of the box (next to the jacks) so I don’t ruin my art 😬
Ok went ahead and used this square SPST toggle that fit PERFECTLY snug between the PCB and enclosure. I let the red wire to R9 long in case I do decide to drill out a hole for this switch on the outside of the enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_7913.jpeg
    IMG_7913.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7914.jpeg
    IMG_7914.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7915.jpeg
    IMG_7915.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 11
Ok went ahead and used this square SPST toggle that fit PERFECTLY snug between the PCB and enclosure. I let the red wire to R9 long in case I do decide to drill out a hole for this switch on the outside of the enclosure.
What’s this mod for?

I found that it helps to track lower notes better, so those on the low E string actually come out clearer. However, it makes anything past the 9th fret on the high E string not even register… so I guess useful depending on how you’re using the pedal.

Here’s a quick demo of the Tracking mod:
That pedal looks awesome!

For the tracking mod, I added this to my old build as I used to do this with a Schuman PLL circuit I had on breadboard. It's just a cap to ground before the signal hits the 4046 to get rid of more of the high end hash that might cause the 4046 to sputter up. So in my setup just helped to make things less glitchy...

For the tracking mod, I added this to my old build as I used to do this with a Schuman PLL circuit I had on breadboard. It's just a cap to ground before the signal hits the 4046 to get rid of more of the high end hash that might cause the 4046 to sputter up. So in my setup just helped to make things less glitchy...
Thanks for posting the mod, I like it a lot when playing low notes.

I found that it helps to track lower notes better, so those on the low E string actually come out clearer. However, it makes anything past the 9th fret on the high E string not even register… so I guess useful depending on how you’re using the pedal.

Here’s a quick demo of the Tracking mod:
That’s quite a difference in tracking! May be good to have on a foot switch for live use…

Nice idea! and Great build to the OP. I really like the use of what I assume is a gloss layer for the embossed looking parts. I might try the cap mod on my Octarock for playing lower down the neck for bass lines.

I did quite a few mods to the one I made on tracking. It’s still pretty noisy after but is capable of more things.

I thought something like this https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/muzzle-classic/ might work well if you side chained it and put the output portion of the muzzle after the SHR to help with the noise.

I did quite a few mods to the one I made on tracking. It’s still pretty noisy after but is capable of more things.

I thought something like this https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/muzzle-classic/ might work well if you side chained it and put the output portion of the muzzle after the SHR to help with the noise.
I actually plan on ordering the Muzzle to build soon as the only two pedals I need to build to replace the branded pedals on my board are the Noise Gate and Compressor. Between the 401k (keeley), Tso, and Warden. Although I think an OTA style response is more what I want (this is not an experience based decision though).

I actually plan on ordering the Muzzle to build soon as the only two pedals I need to build to replace the branded pedals on my board are the Noise Gate and Compressor. Between the 401k (keeley), Tso, and Warden. Although I think an OTA style response is more what I want (this is not an experience based decision though).
It’s on my list also. I unfortunately think the compressors might be a try them all and see what you like thing. I have had some commercial ones including a rack and have build the boneyard delegate, which is what I’m using now. I got the board for the Aion meridian which I’m excited about and plan on doing the Tso, engineers thumb and maybe the madbean trash compactor as well.

I haven’t experimented with it but I could see feeding a compressor into the SHR helping with tracking probably with more extreme settings than you would normally use.

Back