Pedalspice

Not paying - there is a free version. So you used it enough to know it is 'trash'? Please explain how it is trash. Or are you vibing here...
 
Is Brian a software engineer? UI/UX designer? Did he hire any to develop this product?
no idea, and don't care - is this a good product or not? Sounds you have an axe to grind against Wampler, I am just trying to find out if this is good software. Two separate things. Please leave the wampler bashing in other threads, not wanted here.
 
I assumed the axe being ground was against AI generated software products.
How about you make a separate thread to rail against AI generated software products?

This thread is to explore whether PedalSpice is worth the free cost. Maybe it's not. But nothing anyone has said is an actual review of the product. Please take that somewhere else if you don't have anything to contribute to the actual topic.
 
I played with it, it's interesting but like I said above, I think Celine is better (and open source). It doesn't do much for me that I don't already have in my workflow.

I'm not going to gatekeep or tell you not to use it. If you like it, then use it.
 
With proper updates it might have had a chance if it wasn't a web based app locked behind a subscription. Nothing belongs to you, not even your own projects. I can still load schematics I made in LTspice 10 years ago. There's no guarantee this will still exist in a few years from now. Why would I base my work on some app I have absolutely no control over?
 
I have no problems with Wampler (love his pedals and thankful for the knowledge he's shared freely over the years), and not even necessarily with vibe-coded software (but that's a whole other thread).
My main problem is that he wants to charge $20 / month for it (the free tier is limited to 3 knobs per pedal, can only store 10 pedals), when its pretty clear its the work of a few weekends with AI (even though he said he's spent months on it).
How do I know? Because I vibe-coded one in a weekend, and hey, with absolutely no prompting or pointing to his work, my vibe-coded trash looks very similar to his.

All that said, at the free tier - if you're OK with the limitations - then PedalSpice is probably fine, as are most of the other free alternatives. If you really want a pedal-focused spice alternative, I'll set up a GitHub and you can use my vibe-coded trash for free in perpetuity.
 
I have no problems with Wampler (love his pedals and thankful for the knowledge he's shared freely over the years), and not even necessarily with vibe-coded software (but that's a whole other thread).
My main problem is that he wants to charge $20 / month for it (the free tier is limited to 3 knobs per pedal, can only store 10 pedals), when its pretty clear its the work of a few weekends with AI (even though he said he's spent months on it).
How do I know? Because I vibe-coded one in a weekend, and hey, with absolutely no prompting or pointing to his work, my vibe-coded trash looks very similar to his.

All that said, at the free tier - if you're OK with the limitations - then PedalSpice is probably fine, as are most of the other free alternatives. If you really want a pedal-focused spice alternative, I'll set up a GitHub and you can use my vibe-coded trash for free in perpetuity.
I missed the 3 knob limit, that is nuts. $20/month is too pricey for how much I would use it.
 
He did a survey before releasing it, and one of the questions was how much would you pay for it. I get the feeling most people put something like "a 50$ one-time payment", so I'm not sure how he arrived at 20$ / month, especially since most of the competition is free (or spend 20$ for one month of Claude Code and do it yourself).
 
He did a survey before releasing it, and one of the questions was how much would you pay for it. I get the feeling most people put something like "a 50$ one-time payment", so I'm not sure how he arrived at 20$ / month, especially since most of the competition is free (or spend 20$ for one month of Claude Code and do it yourself
I would have paid a reasonable one-time payment to get full features. Not $240 per year. Yikes.
 
I'm not sure who the intended market is for this. It's too expensive for all but the most dedicated DIYers and I wouldn't think the commercial market would be that large.

Might be a case of something he developed for himself and is just looking for some funds to help cover the cost.
 
Back
Top