SOLVED Point to point issue

Morning. I breadboarded and then built this point to point pedal. I’m only getting bypass at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 54
It's really impossible to tell based on the information we have. A schematic would be helpful and knowing the pin-outs of the transistors would ne be necessary to trace the circuit. Having said that, did you test the circuit before you wired the foot switch? I've never seen a foot switch wired like this, and if I had to pick a starting point, it sounds like you are sending your signal to ground when you engage the pedal.

The easiest place to start is checking for shorts— Set your multimeter for continuity and probe around all the different points in the circuit while one lead is clipped to the enclosure. If you get a beep, and it’s not a part that should be connected to ground, then it’s probably shorting against the enclosure.

A schematic and the transistors you used would be helpful to diagnose anything beyond a short tho

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand the foot switch. From what I can tell, the center lug of the right side of the foots switch goes to the tip of the output jack. the center lug in the middle of the switch goes to the tip of the input jack, so when the switch is thrown to the top half, the jumper between the top right and top center lugs create the bypass (which we know works).

The bottom right lug goes to pin 2 on the A100K (presumably a volume control), and the bottom center lug goes to pin 2 on the B50K (presumably a drive pot). That all makes sense to me now. What was throwing me was the ground connection to the center pin on the left side which doesn't connect to anything, but I guess that's for the connection to the LED and CLR, which would then connect to the positive rail.

Assuming all of that is correct, the next thing I'd look at is the pin out configuration on the transistors.

I believe the Top Right Pot under the Output jack is Volume, Leg 1 is going to Ground, Leg 2 is going to Output on the bottom right of Footswitch, Leg 3 is going to 10nf Yellow Cap to Leg 3 of the 1K Gain pot ??? so we are talking Fuzz circuit???

I believe the Top Right Pot under the Output jack is Volume, Leg 1 is going to Ground, Leg 2 is going to Output on the bottom right of Footswitch, Leg 3 is going to 10nf Yellow Cap to Leg 3 of the 1K Gain pot ??? so we are talking Fuzz circuit???
Yeah, that's my guess. It looks like a silicone fuzz with a tone stack.

I really appreciate you guys taking your time to help me out with this. Attached you will find the schematic and the transistors that I used are NOS Fairchild, 2N2926 NPN silicon. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 22

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 9
I’m also getting continuity between pin 2 of the 50kb and ground. No idea where that’s coming from. Changed the 3PDT wiring a bit too. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 8
I’m also getting continuity between pin 2 of the 50kb and ground. No idea where that’s coming from. Changed the 3PDT wiring a bit too. Here’s a pic.
Yeah, that means your input is shorting to ground. And I'm all kinds of confused about the way you have the foot switched wired now. I had just wrapped my mind around how you had it wired before. I'm going to have to study this for a minute...

Ok, I think you just flipped the wiring from the way you had it wired before. I'm struggling to follow what is happening on the right side of the switch. I know there are a dozen ways to wire a bypass switch, but the easiest one for me to wrap my mind around is this one...

Attachments

• 1711234105044.png
    1711234105044.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back