Power supply question

Fuzzonaut

Maybe a silly question, but I'd like to double check with you knowledgeable folks, please.

I have a power supply with these specs:
"6VAC / 2A power supply (please note: AC, not DC output). Standard 2.1 / 5.5mm output plug"
but the output plug is angled and I need it to be straight.

Can I just use an ordinary daisy chain cable, like for example this one from Mooer, to get a straight plug, although the cables specs are "Connector type: 9V DC Power Supply"?
Mooer daisy chain cable

Thanks.

Electricity does not care what shape the plug is. As long as it's connected + to + & - to - the electrons will flow.
Thanks.

So, that means, I would need to verify that the power supply is center negative, as a standard daisy chain cable will be center negative - or can I just try it and either it will work or not, without the risk of blowing anything up?
(The power supply is for a small DIY tube headphone amp.)

Sorry, but this AC/DC, center positiv/negative stuff still makes me scratching my head and as this is my first time looking at building a tube amp, I'm pretty unsure about things ...

Thanks.

So, that means, I would need to verify that the power supply is center negative, as a standard daisy chain cable will be center negative - or can I just try it and either it will work or not, without the risk of blowing anything up?
(The power supply is for a small DIY tube headphone amp.)

Sorry, but this AC/DC, center positiv/negative stuff still makes me scratching my head and as this is my first time looking at building a tube amp, I'm pretty unsure about things ...
I'd check continuity with a multimeter and 100% confirm it just to be ultra-careful, but unless the adaptor cable thing is a polarity reverser then + and - are going to be the same coming in and going out. It doesn't have a polarity, it's just a simple connection between wires. If you plug an adaptor cable into a center + power source, it'll be center +, and if it's plugged into a center - source, it'll be center -.

EDIT: "It" in this case being a daisy chain like you linked to. I have a bunch of adaptors in various shapes and formats, and they're all just simple 1 to 1 connectors. It's just a couple of wires hooked to a plug and a socket, as long as + and - are not swapped, you're fine.

Last edited:
But, you may want to use a twisted wire if you’re running a longer length of it. We’re so used to DC and thin zip cord, but AC can send out cycle hum that can be picked up. Twisting the wires helps considerable.

If it's AC there is no polarity.
Then Robert swings by, casually drops the punchline and I'm like

the-universe-tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Thanks y'all, also for the warnings.
This power supply will only be used with the amp (small DIY tube headphone amp).

Back