PPCB Cepheid chorus

Locrian99

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So I needed another chorus pedal for some reason (apparently to replace the Mxr analog chorus I unloaded not too long ago). I decided I needed to build this one even though I have a Caesar. After all the Caesar is just a modded version of this one, but I am glad I did.

After getting this board put together it sat in enclosure purgatory for a bit while I played eitb it through my breadboard/test box set up. And failed at spray painting in the rain. I however did quite a bit of comparing with my other two chorus pedals. The Caesar and the karaoke chorus. First off I will say my favorite is the karaoke in general, but it is quite a bit different than the cepheid/Caesar, and I wouldn’t say I would use them in place of one another it would make sense to me to have bother the karaoke and Caesar on the same board. As far as the Caesar vs cepheid I think I kind of prefer the cepheid only for the simple ness of it. Sure you can get some more sounds out of the Caesar and the Caesar can do pretty much everything the cepheid can but I kind of just like the two knobs and the you can’t really get a bad sound out of it.

Far as the build goes pretty straight forward as long as you remember that electros are polarized. I reversed the 47u between vref and ground in the power section by the trimmer. Fried two bbd chips white smoke and all for the second one (probably was for the first one as well that I didn’t notice.). No other issues and biasing was simple. I was happy I finally remembered not to drill the second led spot. I ended up wiring the rate led as the indicator by just not hooking the led from the board to the switch and just running the wire over worked out well and i by far prefer it this way.

2842A051-6DC3-43AC-BC64-35915EE0D715.jpeg BC4ADEE7-62C1-459F-9CC6-6EFF937CAF1B.jpeg

Back