PPCB Cetus preamp (victory kraken v1)

Paradox916

Because I have been on a high gain kick again here is the Cetus, recently I have been looking for a different flavor of amp, and I was looking at the Kraken and super Kraken, and I like the demos I have watched so why not build the V1 to see if I would still’s be interested… IMG_0187.jpeg

The build itself is pretty easy but did not come without issues… when I initially tested it the charge pump was absolutely screaming and not in a good way.
IMG_0176.jpeg

But it was an easy enough fix, I initially swapped out the 1044 for another one I knew to work crossing my fingers it was a defective charge pump…nope. Had the same issue. So I rolled the dice on a high freq Tc7660HCPA . Sure enough that did the trick! Is that a proper fix… mmm that’s debatable but it works very well. And to anyone wanting to build this I highly suggest the 7660HCPA

IMG_0175.jpeg

So how does it sound? I like it, the eq is a slightly different flavor, definitely has both the 5150 and British vibe to it. It gets kind of noisy when you boost it, but responds like you would hope, and in conjunction with a gate this thing can be down right tight and brutal.

That's my go-to pump anymore

Nice work!
🙏 .. The 1044 has worked well for a lot of projects I have done , but agreed the 7660H is good to have on hand, I ordered a few extra just for a this purpose, having stock of both, and a couple 1054s I don’t think I will be needing change pumps anytime soon.

Back