PPCB Son of Ben

Funny, as I just populated one of these too. I wanted to like it, as I'm looking for an OD with tone options, but feel the same way as you so far.

You might like the Texel boost that @Chuck D. Bones and @szukalski have. I have some extra boards - want me to drop one in the mail to you?
I just read about that. Sounds interesting! Have to check if I have an NPN Germanium. How's the gain/dirt on it? Basically, I'd like to be able to dial in some dirt while also shaping the EQ a bit. The Greer Lightspeed has been my new favourite so far.

I just read about that. Sounds interesting! Have to check if I have an NPN Germanium. How's the gain/dirt on it? Basically, I'd like to be able to dial in some dirt while also shaping the EQ a bit. The Greer Lightspeed has been my new favourite so far.
Everything from straight up boost to med gain od. I have an extra NPN ge or 50 rattlin’ around. Enabling enabling enabling lol

I like my son of ben with a hard clipper in front of it, but don't often play it by itself. Mine is also pretty noisy, which could just be user error/sloppiness.

Awhile back I got a Son of Ben board and was pretty excited to build it. Coincidentally I got to try a Benson for the first time a couple weeks later.

I still have the board if someone wants to trade or somethin 😂

Awhile back I got a Son of Ben board and was pretty excited to build it. Coincidentally I got to try a Benson for the first time a couple weeks later.

I still have the board if someone wants to trade or somethin 😂
I take it you hated it? :)

I built a pair of them two two different specs a while ago. I liked them, but haven’t been all that compelled to plug either of them in since then. I have a 3rd one on my workbench currently that I plan to build to the highly modified specs of an internet acquaintance who was very unimpressed with the original design and sought to make it better. Once I build that one, I’ll do a shootout between the three so we can see once and for all just what it all means.

Enough to kill any desire I had to build it! Just way too muddy for me. I probably will still build it at some point though.
Really? I have to keep the tone around 11 o’clock on mine because I find it quite bright. Are you using humbuckers? I mostly use single coils.

Are you playing it at 18V? Sounds way better.

I built my for bass and: ended up switching out C6 and C8 for 330n (what I had on hand, though I think anything 100n and above would have been fine). That really opened up the pedal and makes it sound a lot fuller and more useful on bass. Also omitted C5 so that there's more gain before breakup. I have compared mine to a real Benson and like my better, for bass though.

Thread here: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/son-of-ben-benson-preamp-modifications-thread.8909/

Back