PPCB Son of Ben

Laundryroom David

Keyboard Cowboy 🤠
To me This is a really odd and ultimately unsatisfying pedal. I finished it up a few days ago and wanted to give it a fair shot. I’ve played it loud, quiet, high gain, low gain, tone knobs up, down, middle, you name it. I cannot dial in a tone I like.

All parts are correct as is the biasing. I think this lil fella and I just don’t get along. The build itself is typically well laid out, no issues there. I’m going to reuse the enclosure.

5 star board
1 star sound (for me)

IMG_7062.jpeg IMG_7061.jpeg

Last edited:
What is your bias at? IIRC they had different bias points. Definitely not fizzy.
2 kohms at trimpot 1
4v at Q2 and Q3 drains

Fizzy may not be the best descriptor. Unflattering? Harsh? It doesn’t sound obviously wrong, just not good to my ears. How’s that for science?

Gasp! Surely it can't be all hype!!
~ clutches pearls~
Interestingly, I only started reading about the Benson Preamp after building this, which was probably the wrong order of operations. Lesson maybe learned.

After 10 minutes of the hype firehose, I am confused. The Benson Preamp is based on the preamp section of an actual amp? That they sell? (2) if the amp actually sounds like the pedal … whhhhyyyyy? 😂

Ok ok. I’m being a bit of a dick about this one. I don’t wish it ill.

As a cleanish boost, the pedal is meh. Usable but no more so (and significantly less so) than like a dozen other pedals. Including the Centaur.

I like this one. It can be a little "dull" or "dark" sounding. But I use a bright set up. In a live band situation it's a nice rhythm sound. I get why it's a love it or hate it kinda pedal. A lot of hype but not right for everyone or every situation.

I like this one. It can be a little "dull" or "dark" sounding. But I use a bright set up. In a live band situation it's a nice rhythm sound. I get why it's a love it or hate it kinda pedal. A lot of hype but not right for everyone or every situation.
I don’t hate it per se 😂. I’m glad it works for you!

Back