SOLVED Pre-fix questions (Aion Proxima)

Noodles

At the risk of outing myself as a bigger dummy than my previous post...

So, let's assume you are working on your first pedal, the Aion Proxima, and, in the midst of a massive brain fart, you wire the DC jack backwards...oops. Possibly luckily, you are just testing the LED and the spidey senses start tingling pretty quickly. Hmm, weird, the battery is pretty hot. Ohhhhhh....🤔🤬 Nothing else is visually torched.

Redo the jack. LED turns on, but seems dimmer than it should. Engaged, the only thing that seems to work is the clean volume.

Probing around with the DMM exposes continuity on C13 and R17 and R18 both reading less than 10K (one is about 0K and the other about 5K).

1712609450423.png
Can I assume that D1, C14, and C12 are likely toasted as well?

The other obvious anomaly is R3 which is also reading less than 10K (~5K).

1712610313683.png
Voltages on Q1 are:
D = 9V
S = 1.2V
G = 0V

Full schematic here: https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/proxima_documentation.pdf (P6)

Basically, I'm trying to understand and figure out if I should just replace the obviously damaged parts, the obviously+likely damaged parts, or start over with a new PCB (facetious....worst case, this is probably a good chance to learn more troubleshooting skills). All values double-checked visually. First 10 or 11 resistors checked with DMM.

Appreciate any/all thoughts.

Ugggh…careless, thine name is me. Solder bridge on IC2 that I missed first time through. All is fine now. 🤦‍♂️

Agree on the solder joints. This was my first project from PCB. I’m getting better, but still not there.

Last edited:
It had to be the bridging issue as VB at +C13 grounding goes straigt to IC1 VB & IC2 VB where your voltages were crazy.
If it is now working correctly, Edit on your first Post & in Prefix is a SOLVED option.

I was going to circle that one as a possible bridge and thought no he would have surely seen that!

Well....don't assume I'm a he and can see very well ;) (I am and I can't thanks to a couple of retina operations....probably shouldn't be soldering small pads with hot irons...haha). But, I was thinking about your suggestion too. I think I should invest in one. I did find the bridge....late in the process...by cell phone flashlight, a small magnifier, and putting my face almost right on the board!

I was going to circle that one as a possible bridge and thought no he would have surely seen that!
I wasn't sure but ask him to check this at the start of this thread before pictures were posted.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure but ask him to check this at the start of this thread before pictures were posted.
You did. Totally missed it. Lots of “notes to self” on the journey so far 😀.

Back