Printer advice

TheHammer1982

I’m planning to get a LaserJet printer for use with the SunnyScopa film free decal paper but I’m not sure what to get. What features and specs should I be looking for? I’d like to keep the price around $200 if possible.

Funny, my old hp 1012 gave 15+ years of service on the original starter toner, and my wife was printing a lot while studying. We changed it because it was becoming a nightmare to find drivers that worked and wanted color...

I so hate that toners cost as much as the printer itself... my canon needs 400$ worth of toner now :(
There are dealers on eBay that supply toner with the computer chip so your printer doesn't know it's not the manufacturers toner. I've used it before without any problems. There are also dealers that have small print that says "you have to modify your printer to.... bla bla bla" -- Be sure to read the fine print to avoid those jerks. "Tools needed : soldering gun...." yeah, sure, I'm going to solder my printer. Got my money back, bought from someone else.

This guy literally has 8,900 listings for toner. You cannot sustain that number of inventory if your stuff is crappy!!! And he has 100% feedback on nearly 90,000 sales. Really a hard number to achieve. The picture at the bottom are the units I have saved for when I need to refill. As you can see it's almost 10 times cheaper....

1676598724866.png

This guy literally has 8,900 listings for toner. You cannot sustain that number of inventory if your stuff is crappy!!! And he has 100% feedback on nearly 90,000 sales. Really a hard number to achieve. As you can see it's almost 10 times cheaper...
I will have to look into that ! Huge thanks

When I bought one a few months ago I found out, there's A PRINTER SHORTAGE. Whaaaaa? Of course that was christmas-ish, but I ended up getting this beauty. Works great, really nice quality and it does duplex printing (both sides of sheet). Which of course you need to suppress for decals. But it was $300....

I’ll check that one out, thanks!

There are dealers on eBay that supply toner with the computer chip so your printer doesn't know it's not the manufacturers toner. I've used it before without any problems. There are also dealers that have small print that says "you have to modify your printer to.... bla bla bla" -- Be sure to read the fine print to avoid those jerks. "Tools needed : soldering gun...." yeah, sure, I'm going to solder my printer. Got my money back, bought from someone else.

This guy literally has 8,900 listings for toner. You cannot sustain that number of inventory if your stuff is crappy!!! And he has 100% feedback on nearly 90,000 sales. Really a hard number to achieve. The picture at the bottom are the units I have saved for when I need to refill. As you can see it's almost 10 times cheaper....

View attachment 42173

That is a MASSIVE savings! Thanks for sharing it!

I used a Brother B&W for a couple of years and it got the job done. It was about $200 when I bought it, I think.

I bought an HP color laserjet pro m255dw a couple of months ago (Same printer as @Harry Klippton) and it was a massive improvement. Massive. Like, I want to redo the enclosures for some previous pedals I have because they now look like garbage to me 😂. It's a lot more expensive and you certainly shouldn't buy it but I'm married to it now and felt I ought to share. Here's a couple of prints I did with it.

PXL_20230116_012717037.jpg

PXL_20230212_233353577.jpg

Last edited:
@THeHammer82
Also note that Huelet-Puckered has great prices on printers because you will PAY out your … ahem, you will pay dearly for the privilege of using H-P ink. A friend of mine worked in the H-P printer division and recommended to NOT get HP. Was expensive to use H-P even with staff discount.

NB!!
Having researched the Sunnyscopa stuff 2-years ago that Peccary hipped me to, I finally pulled the trigger just recently and noticed something while ordering I hadn’t noticed during the research phase:
Sunnyscopa recommends NOT getting the solid-based toner laser-printers and lists a few brands that have this type of laser-toner, but gave no specific model #s.

Of course researching whether the laser-jet I bought, specifically for pedal-related endeavours, was solid-based or not — I came up with nothing. I searched for other makes and models of solid-toner based laser-printers and it would seem they are so few and far between that they don’t merit documentation as being such. So hopefully my laser-printer is non-solid...

I've been dealing with HP since the 90's. The one thing I really hate about that company is they drop support for products in just a few years. Being that I was 'the computer guy' at more than a few companies I had to be sure we bought stuff that could be repaired instead of replaced. That's the main reason that I try to avoid their products. Just before she passed away in 2021, my wife wanted an HP laptop. It's a fast laptop, but the battery died after only 2 years, and HP doesn't carry the part anymore. If it wasn't for third party battery manufacturers it would have been a goner.....

When it comes to printers, I go with Brother. 3rd party toner always works, and I just love them for the fact that you can over-ride the "toner empty" warning and keep printing. Always get an extra 50% toner life (depending on quality).
Is there a particular model you like?

hmm.. I picked up a canon for like 120 after tax and the toner cartridges(I checked them sitting beside the printer display) were about 70ish for my particular model.. not color but I can borrow a sibling's 3 blocks away or get out the airbrush(for enclosures)🤷‍♂️

Just received today my complete set of toners from Toner Kingdom. I was disappointed when I discovered that they only ship the US. So I checked 123ink but the comments on their service were not so good. So I went to look on Amazon.ca because if you have a problem, the returns are always easy and they sell Toner Kingdom at a price that was good for the full set.

I've printed two images to test and must say it's really good, thanks for the tip @RetiredUnit1

Back