Pro-10 Blue + Green = Muscle Milk

jeffwhitfield

For a dual-drive pedal, this was one of the smoothest builds I've done in a while. Literally no problems with it.

The Browne Protein pedal was definitely one that I was super curious about and wondered how it compared to the Analogman King of Tone. I kept hearing about it on various forums so, yeah, when I saw the two PCB's on the PedalPCB website, definitely added those to my queue and planned out a dual pedal layout.

The main thing I added with this one was a SPDT switch to change the order of the two drives. Definitely recommended for sure! The difference between the order of these does add quite a bit of flexibility. I almost like the Blue going into the Green better.

Tone-wise, I was quite surprised by this one. I can certainly understand why so many like this one better than the KoT. I definitely still like my Paragon...but this one has certainly won me over. There's just a character about this that doesn't exist in the KoT. It just feels more refined and allows for a lot more variety in tone. Both pedals have their place...but this one will likely see more time on my pedal board I think.

Funny thing about the Green drive. Since it's based on the ODR-1, hearing it for the first time made me realize that my AionFX Andromeda Deluxe (ODR-C) wasn't working right. Way, way too dark with all settings at noon compared to the Green drive. So, yeah, that one is gonna get debugged. :p

With the design, I wanted to build one that looked a lot like the original Protein pedal. I didn't like the name "Pro-10" so I thought of a different name. Given that I'm combining the two "Pro-10" boards, I figure a play on the various protein powders was in orders so...Muscle Milk it is! :D

IMG_0156.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 92
Looks awesome! It's super nice and I wanted to build this already, but now I'll prioritize the build.
What size/type of enclosure did you use?

Thanks!

Hey man this looks excellent. The green side isn’t a straight up copy of the ODR 1 though just a FYI so don’t use it as a gospel for reference to your Aion build.

Hey man this looks excellent. The green side isn’t a straight up copy of the ODR 1 though just a FYI so don’t use it as a gospel for reference to your Aion build.
Indeed. I did fix my Andromeda Deluxe. Had the wrong pull down resistor value installed. Now I need to compare it with the Green channel.

Indeed. I did fix my Andromeda Deluxe. Had the wrong pull down resistor value installed. Now I need to compare it with the Green channel.
Oh interesting. Good find! I like the green channel once I realized I put a 2N5458 instead of a 2N5457 in there 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ definitely less gain than the ODR but that’s expected because of the pot value

Oh interesting. Good find! I like the green channel once I realized I put a 2N5458 instead of a 2N5457 in there 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ definitely less gain than the ODR but that’s expected because of the pot value
I did a quick test between my Andromeda Deluxe at the stock ODR-1 settings (Low Cut and ODC all the way down, Mid at center). Sound virtually identical really. I think what would be interesting would be to add the Low Cut and Mid controls to the Green channel. Pretty sure it could be modded to do that. Would need the schematic though to verify.

So, looking at the schematic for the Nobleman and comparing it to the two Andromeda schematics, adding a Bass Cut control would be relatively simple. Adding a Mid control is a little more complicated. Might require a mini breadboard to do that since it requires an extra transistor for boosting mids.

What value was the PDR before and after? How critical is the PDR value?

I’ve been shoving anything from 1M, to 2M2, to 6M3…🙀

The latter value I got a deal on a pack of 100 resisters.

Back