Pro-10 Green (Browne Protein side)

southpaw-dd

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Finished this build up recently and wanted to share some thoughts. I own a Protein 3.0 and have been able to compare back and forth with this build. The Protein green side has a noticeably softer attack in comparison to this PPCB build. On first listen, I perceived the attack difference as something in the mids not being the same but I keep going back to the attack tricking my ears. The feel likely has something to do with the input buffer parts and then other parts tolerances. I used a Fairchild J201 from Small Bear on this project and did not have my Atlas DCA75 at the time of build so it is untested. Seems to be fine!

Most of the parts are from Mouser, with the film caps being WIMA and Kemet, and electrolytic caps Nichicon and Rubycon. The 2N5088 was purchased from Aion Fx.

First time using shielded I/O wire from the Amazon RG174 links provided here by others - but may be overkill for this type of gain level. Took me a little bit to figure out how I wanted to cut the lengths and apply heatshrink, and I need smaller diameter of heatshrink for the next builds to get improved adhesion on the shield conductor. I ended up using about 12-13mm of overall wire length, and then 2mm on the jack end for the shield connection to ground. The switch end of the cable makes me a bit nervous as far as the weight of the shielded cable and the wire strength even with solder pre-tinning on the end; I have a thought that applying some hot glue to the cables at the footswitch body could help with reducing the chance of a break on the conductor at the input/output connections to the 3PDT board. I may give that a try and see what "strain relief" that provides.

The enclosure is UV printed from Tayda with Matte Gray Sand powdercoat.

I'm 90% certain I'm going to sell the real Protein as I'm not a big fan of the blue side overall (and why not just build the blue, right?).

D2 Pedals Atom Front.jpeg D2 Pedals Atom Guts.jpeg

Back